Q. Describe the most common types of jobs you do for your clients.
A. I provide publishing & marketing consultation.
I design mind-blowing book covers.
I design one of kind 3D eBook covers.
I format and create custom layouts for books.
I offer ISBN assignment.
I provide digital formatting and distribution.
I design business & postcards.
I provide photo shoots for my clients.
I supply authors with an electronic proof.
I provide complete media kits, and press materials.
I offer numerous marketing options and solutions.
I provide a smile and exceptional customer service.
Q. Describe three recent jobs you've completed.
A. 1. JAMES BALDWIN A SOUL ON FIRE a short play by HOWARD B. SIMON Edited by Charles Reese. I created the book cover image from 2000 black and white images from 1963!
2. KESHA STRAIGHT no-chasers by Lakesha M. Townsend. The book is a passionate memoir about the friendship Kesha shared with the late Whitney Houston. Whitney tragically passed away 3 days prior to receiving the finished & publishing book!
3. Gettin' Honey From A Rose by Nicki J! This amazing book is about a passionate romance and spiritual connect that developed when Senator Barack Obama announced his bid to enter the 2008 election to become America’s 44th President!
Q. What advice do you have for a customer looking to hire a provider like you?
A. It's imperative for a customer to know exactly what type of publishing they want...eBook publishing, journal, hardcover or paperback. It's important to know ahead of time, so that I can customize the service and give the customer/ author the best experience possible.
Q. If you were a customer, what do you wish you knew about your trade? Any inside secrets to share?
A. The insider Secrets....
1. Start a Blog – Do not wait until the book is in print to start building your audience. Write about topics of interest to your target audience and update your blog at least twice each week.
2. Write a Marketing Plan – If you want to sell books, you need a plan that includes ongoing marketing efforts. There should be many tasks from the plan that you can also begin tackling before the book is in print. Jenny Blake developed a fabulous spreadsheet with book marketing tactics that you can use as a reference for getting started.
3. Build a Social Media Platform – Sites like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter are ideal for authors because they allow you to share content and interact with potential readers. Start by sharing your blog posts. Also ask questions, share other people’s content, and engage your audience. Engage daily and develop your social media “voice.”
4. Develop a Launch Plan – Know how you’re going to introduce your book to the world. Strategies might include email marketing to your lists, social media promotion, PR campaign, a contest, partnering with other writers, etc.
5. Invest in High Quality Publishing Services such as Glover Lane Press – If you’re self-publishing, don’t make the mistake of skimping on services. The two most important elements of book production are editing and cover design. A homemade cover will tell everyone that your book is self-published, and sub-standard editing will leave readers disappointed (which can lead to poor book reviews). Allow Glover Lane Press to design your book cover, logos, and any other company branding.
Q. What questions should a consumer ask to hire the right service professional?
A. Do I own my copyright and all of my reproduction rights?
Do I have a say in the creative process?
Does Glover Lane Press provide a FREE consultation?
How long does the publishing process work?
What is the difference between editing and proofreading?
If I am previously published, how can Glover Lane Press help?
Which file formats dose Glover Lane Press accept for printing?
Can I use my own book cover artwork?
Why is distribution important?
What is cover stock?
What is trim size?
Can I sell my book in Canada?
Q. What important information should buyers have thought through before seeking you out?
A. Buyers should have thought through if they want an eBook, a full color coffee table book, or a mass market paperback. They should have also thought through their book title, and have a general idea how many pages their manuscript is.
Q. Why does your work stand out from others who do what you do?
A. I am passionate about all of my projects from the beginning to end! It doesn't matter if I'm designing a book cover, a business cards or publishing a year book for an elementary school...I love my work!
Q. What do you like most about your job?
A. I LOVE publishing. I love designing book covers, and all types of promotional media. I love taking jaw-dropping photos, but I absolutely love connecting with different types of people, organizations, beliefs and backgrounds.
Q. How did you decide to get in your line of work?
A. My Name is Azaan Kamau. I am an independent book publisher and an expert book designer! I have been writing for about 20 years, and publishing for a little over 12 years. I taught myself the publishing industry and craft after publication rejection letters began to pile up! I was told there was no market for my writing, it was too raw, too revolutionary, too taboo, too too much! Thus, I had to teach myself how to publish my own work! It was hard in the beginning as I tried a few publishers that wanted a ton of money to publish my work. That was a hassle! As I got the hang of it and began to publish my work, I realized there were thousands of writers, poets, journalist exacly like me. I realized there were countless individuals whose manuscripts had been rejected, or they always wanted to publish, but just didn't know where to begin. I made it my duty to provide affordable publishing options for all budgets!
Q. Tell us about a recent job you did that you are particularly proud of.
A. I am soooooo proud of all of the authors, their perseverance, and their zeal to right! I am proud of all of them!
I am extremely proud of Lakesha M. Townsend author of KESHA STRAIGHT no-chasers...a memoir dedicated to the late Whitney Houston!
I am also beaming with pride because of Ifalade Ta'Shia Asanti, author of The Seer and the Bones Do Talk! You make us proud Ta'Shia...You make us proud!
Q. What is your greatest strength?
A. I love people. I am a people person who is passionate about going the extra mile. I believe in going beyond my customer's expectations and providing them with a superior product.
Q. What are you currently working on improving?
A. Currently I am working on improving eBook production, product branding, 3 dimensional media, basic website design and over all book/ author promotion.