Q. Describe three recent jobs you've completed.
A. High School Singers! GMA has many high school singers, actors and piano performers who are playing lead roles, accompanying professional choirs and accepting scholarships in the Pikes Peak schools and community.
Children! The kids that come through the doors of our studio - come in and run to the piano! They love connecting with their teacher and achieving their musical goals.
Adults! GMA teaches defense contractors, lawyers, teachers, nurses and physical therapists.... all who find great value in learning to sing and play and instrument.
Q. What advice do you have for a customer looking to hire a provider like you?
A. When you look for a piano or guitar teacher, or a vocal coach, look for:
1. Atmosphere of the studio and the teacher/student connection. A good environment and relationship can encourage practice, help to meet student goals and ongoing growth - socially and academically.
2. Education/Passion of the Teacher. Do the teachers hold an advanced degree and maintain a performing career?
Q. If you were a customer, what do you wish you knew about your trade? Any inside secrets to share?
A. Many people ask me, "Can everyone learn to sing?" I believe most people can learn to sing. Others comment, "I used to take piano lessons as a kid, is it too late to start again," I don't believe so! Learning music is a wonderful way to connect right and left brain activity. Learning the language of music also helps stimulate brain activity, build self-confidence and create decision making ability. Music is for all people at any age.
Q. What questions should a consumer ask to hire the right service professional?
A. Question 1) What is your philosophy? 2) What kind of music do you teach? 3) What is your education?
1) My Philosophy about voice is that anyone can be taught to sing. But there are a wonderful select few who are born with not only a gift to sing but to connect with an audience. Singers express dreams, emotion and story as they create their art. My job is to foster and help produce that gift in each student. Piano is no different. Playing music is more than the math on the page. It is about your story, your emotion, your struggles and dreams. Any music can be your outlet and expression.
2) I teach a classical foundation of breathing and appreciation then add art song, worship, pop, Broadway and folk literature.
3) I have a B.M. from the University of Kansas and an M.M. from Arizona State University.
Q. What important information should buyers have thought through before seeking you out?
A. Ask yourself if you are willing to give the time and energy necessary to begin music lessons. Music lessons will change your life...are you ready for that?
There are great benefits to learning the guitar if you are willing to put yourself first with time and commitment to practice. With this investment you can expect to pay a good price. Too cheap and the lesson will waist your time and the teachers.
Q. What do you like most about your job?
A. That I am a singer and each day I can help to shape the community into self-confident musicians.