Survey findings and summary
Thumbtack, in partnership with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, has released
Virginia's results from the third annual Thumbtack.com
Small Business Friendliness Survey. The study, drawing upon data from over 12,000
small business owners, provides new insights into state and local business
environments across the nation.
"After a two-month survey of thousands of small business owners nationwide,
business owners have reaffirmed that Virginia is a premier destination for starting and running a business," says Jon Lieber, Chief Economist of
Thumbtack. "Creating a business climate that is welcoming to small, dynamic
businesses is more important than ever, and Virginia's A+ grade by its small businesses shows what a welcoming and friendly place the Commonwealth is for entrepreneurs."
Some of the key findings for Virginia include:
- Virginia earned a top-five rating for the friendliness of its health and safety, labor, and licensing regulations.
- African-American small business owners felt significantly more supported by the Virginia state government than others, reporting overall friendliness scores that were 14 percent higher than the overall state friendliness score.
- Among cities in Virginia, Richmond earned a grade of A and Virginia Beach earned an A- for overall friendliness; Richmond was 3rd in the nation for friendliness of licensing, and Virginia Beach was 4th.
- Virginia has never earned less than an A for overall friendliness in previous Kauffman/Thumbtack surveys.
- Virginia's small businesses were the third most optimistic in the nation when it came to plans to hire more employees in the next twelve months.
- The top rated states overall were Utah, Idaho, Texas, Virginia and Louisiana. The lowest rated were Rhode Island, Illinois, California, Connecticut and New Jersey.
A copy of the survey's full methodology and analysis paper is available upon
request. Please email Thumbtack's Chief Economist, Jon Lieber, at
firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy
of the paper and with any questions or comments you might have.
Cities in Virginia
Virginia Beach, VA
- All Cities