Residential & Commercial Architect

J Architects

Seattle, WA

Thumbtack Highlighted service

Bronze member

Licensed in WA – Validate
Architect – #5955

Let us do the work

  1. 1

    Answer a few questions about your needs

  2. 2

    Get a quote from this pro within 24 hours

  3. 3

    If you want, get competing quotes from other pros

Request a Free Quote

About J Architects

j ARCHITECTS: Jim Rymsza, AIA

Everyone should be able to afford great architectural design. All too often, homeowners in need of design and permitting assistance feel they cannot afford an architect, or that those services are reserved only for custom homes.

My typical clients are people who love their neighborhood and want to explore adding on to their current home rather than jumping into the real estate market. An expanding family requiring extra bedroom space or a new backyard family room are typical projects. Based in Seattle's Ravenna/Bryant Neighborhood with over 20 years of local experience, I am a fully licensed architect and I specialize in sustainable, affordable design, for single family, multi-family projects and neighborhood commercial projects.

My projects range from backyard and second floor additions for Seattle bungalows to new, custom, contemporary homes. My commercial clients range from housing for local non-profits to commercial tenant improvements. References are happily provided upon request.

If you are considering working with an architect, I'd love to talk to you about your project. My fees are reasonable and the first consultation is gratis. I can assist you with a range of services, from "I just need a permit" to full service design and construction administration.

Location

Seattle, WA 98115

  • DOJ Smart Search verified
  • License verified
  • Thumbtack reviewed

Question and answer

Q. Describe the most common types of jobs you do for your clients.

A. 75% of my work consists of residential remodels...typically, adding space for growing families. The other 25% is a mix of new residential and small commercial jobs.

Q. What advice do you have for a customer looking to hire a provider like you?

A. If I were hiring any service provider, I'd want to know a bit about them first: How long have they been doing what they do? Can they show me examples of their past work? Are there references to be had? Are they honestly interested in the project? Also, do our personalities match up? Will I feel comfortable entering into a professional relationship with that person?

Q. Why does your work stand out from others who do what you do?

A. In Seattle, if you shake a tree, 2 architects, a doctor and software engineer fall out. This competition makes our region an exciting place in which to practice, primarily because the standards are very high. This is very good for the client...they can find someone they can trust to do a good, competent job. I believe I have the right mix of experience, integrity and professional curiosity to bring the right skill set to the table. My practice is small and personal, I enjoy my work and enjoy working with involved, engaging clients.

Q. What do you wish customers knew about you or your profession?

A. Design is an iterative process...typically the best solutions to a design problem comes over time from an honest collaboration of client, design professional and builder.

Q. Do you do any sort of continuing education to stay up on the latest developments in your field?

A. Architects who have "AIA" (American Inst. of Architects) after their name must partake in 18 hours of professional development education each year. These courses involve life safety, sustainable design, and technology issues. These courses are designed to keep continuing practitioners up-to-date and informed.

Write a review

Request a free quote »
A new way to hire local services