Mina Choe joined Thumbtack as an office coordinator in January 2016. Since then she’s played a leading role in building out Thumbtack’s People Operations team, moving offices (twice!), and organizing some of Thumback’s most memorable events. The company has more than doubled since she started, but Mina still knows every Thumbtack employee by name (she’s pretty sure). Here are ten things to know about Mina.
- I started at Thumbtack in January 2016. We were less than half the size we are now when I joined. Four months into the job, we needed a second office to fit everyone and started renting the space across the street.
- Thumbtack is at a little over 300 people now in San Francisco and I still know everyone’s names and faces. I think.
- I started as an office coordinator, which meant everything from getting leaks fixed and managing office moves, to onboarding new hires and throwing a 90’s day in the office… all while stationed at the front desk. I’m still involved in office operations, but these days I lead events and other programs such as employee Thumbtackversaries.
- Before I worked at Thumbtack I was living in Seoul. I was there for three years and loved the fast-paced, hi-tech and K-beauty (before it was dubbed “K-beauty”) lifestyle. Then I moved back to Sacramento and managed day-to-day operations at a small finance company for another three years. I knew I couldn’t last in a suburban city for much longer and made the move to San Francisco in 2015.
- My favorite thing about working at Thumbtack is the people. The biggest “perk” of working here is the people you get to work with — they’re some of the most humble, intelligent and hilarious people I know. It’s pretty cool to be able to say I’ve made some lifelong friends here. Super close second favorite thing about Thumbtack: the meals prepared by our culinary team.
- One special thing you might not know about my team is that most of our work is behind-the-scenes. So whenever someone thanks us, we remember. : )
- My favorite meal from the Thumbtack kitchen has to be the fried chicken that Marlee made. And anytime they make bacon.
- The first thing I do when I get into the office in the morning is greet Shari (who runs the front desk) and check out the breakfast bar. I’m starting to think all I do is eat here…
- The project I’m working on most closely now is an event that’s going to be a huge celebration for our employees. I’m also supporting the creative team with Thumbtack’s first-ever large-scale event for pros and leading a company-wide survey to see what perks and benefits employees value most.
- It’s hard to say what my most rewarding moment here has been. For me, it’s the small moments that are most rewarding. I remember setting up a pop-up #loveit wall in the office for an event, and feeling really touched by the number of people who shared notes of gratitude to their peers. It was a sweet, silly and unexpected reminder why I love working here.
For more stories about life at Thumbtack, visit our Medium page.