We hired Dave to do a medium sized job at our home. It was what I would call a "landscape refresh/repair". We had another landscaper do some work a couple of years back and it looked great at first but quickly because a major issue as the lawn was dying and the flagstone he installed started falling apart within a very short period of time. We tried on a number of occasions to get the other landscaper to come back and fix his work but he never did. So, I finally came to Thumbtack, interviewed a number of possible landscapers and landed on Dave.
This time, as a way of protecting ourselves from our last experience I asked Dave to sign a contract prior to starting. He was totally willing to do that which gave me some peace of mind. He got started when he said he would and overall the project went very smooth. First I'll list the positives from our experience:
• Job was done in a reasonable amount of time and the end result is beautiful!
• Dave stayed within the budget we set
• He did some little extras for us which were greatly appreciated like building a redwood box to cover our sprinkler valves and added some soil around our front yard fence posts to even out the grade of the lawn.
• He was selected very nice looking plants for us, with minimal direction from me, and chose larger size plants to give it a better look to start out and also to give the plants a better chance of surviving. Landscapers we have used in the past plan 4" plants instead of 1 gallon to save money but many of them die within the first couple of weeks.
• He will continue to come by and keep tabs on how things are growing and make sure nothing dies right out of the gate.
• He came up with innovative solutions to some of our irrigation issues
Here are a couple of things that were less than perfect:
• There were a couple of miscommunications between Dave and the guy who was doing the work. One of those led to a very frustrating couple of hours for my husband who had to dig out a bunch of new soil and mulch in order to find disconnect speaker and lighting wires and repair them even though the worked knew that those wires were disconnected. Instead, the worker should have waited to cover those areas until the wires were fixed. Dave handled this well though and worked with my husband on getting the issue resolved.
All in all, we were very happy with Dave and his team. They were clean, courteous and did quality work. I will update again in a few weeks with how things are growing.See more