We worked with three people at Foothills Painting.
The first person, Hillary, was awesome. She answered lots of questions and helped us understand the whole process during the quoting stage of the process. In the end we decided to go with Foothills painting because of our interaction with Hillary even though the quote was a little more than other quotes we received.
From that point things went downhill though. After we signed the contract I never received an emailed copy of the contract as expected. When it was time to schedule the job (since we hired them a month before we needed them) I had to call Kyle (the production manager and 2nd person I worked with) 3 separate times (once per day) plus another call/text to Hillary asking for help getting a hold of Kyle before getting a callback to schedule the painting job.
When I finally got a hold of Kyle on Monday he said he could either do Friday or Monday of the upcoming weekend and he would call on Thursday to confirm which day it was. On Wednesday I found my drywall work was going to run through Friday and we needed to have paint start on Monday, so I called Kyle, went to voicemail and left him a voicemail stating paint needed to start on Monday. I never got a callback as he said he would give me.
On Friday the painter arrived despite my voicemail stating I wouldn't be ready. I was planning on getting the house ready over the weekend for paint to be ready to come in. For fear of being charged a return fee or further delaying paint I said Jose (the third person I worked with) could paint the dry texture on the main floor.
When I got home that day I found all of my tools pushed to the center of the room in a big pile of trash (there was no separation between trash and tools). I had to go dig through the trash to make sure my tools and other parts for the house were not thrown out later. I later found out the mounting brackets for the towel holder and toilet paper holder for our bathroom were tossed in the trash can under our vanity and inevitably were thrown out, requiring us to buy a new set.
Originally we were told the painters were going to roll paint on rather than spray, which is what I told my drywallers, so they finished the ceiling to be good for rolled paint rather than spray which would have required an extra coat of flat texture on the ceiling. Unfortunately Jose decided to spray to save time so now our ceilings look terrible in some spaces where rolling the paint would have hid the imperfections better.
Another issue that came up while painting is the paint didn't completely cover the wall. There are spots where the sheen is matte rather than eggshell due to the new drywall absorbing too much of the paint because enough paint wasn't used. When I pointed this out Jose said I'd have to buy more paint and that it would be an upcharge. During the initial quote it was known that there would be new drywall though, requiring enough paint to properly cover the new wall. I'm not sure if this issue came out due to a bad estimate or due to spraying the paint on, losing 30% of the paint to the air requiring one more coat that wasn't estimated originally.
Because Jose was working on the weekend I had no way to discuss this extra charge to Kyle and Jose said I could either pay him for the paint while he was there or I'd have to pay twice as much to have him come back and do another quote. I decided to pay there and figure it out with Foothills later.
Once Jose was done there was still spots with mis-matched sheen (I have a photo attached of the stairwell that was 100% new wall but the paint is still patchy). As well as the mis-matched sheen in places there was overspray on everything as well as some damage that needed fixing, it took Jose 2 full days to fix everything.
Some things that needed to be cleaned/fixed:
* Cuts from one of their taping tools on the ceilings in several rooms and the stairwell.
* Cuts from their taping tool on my Nest thermostat trim piece requiring me to get a new trim piece (Jose spray painted it brown to cover the cuts, but that made the trim no longer fit the thermostat).
* Wood stove, windows, vanities, lights had overspray on them.
* carpet had overspray on it as well as spilled paint( when the overspray was cleaned an oily residue was left behind that I had to clean up instead).
* A switch and outlet were completely painted (there was zero taping on the switch and outlet).
* A corner in my hallway had all the drywall rubbed off due to the hose rubbing along it
* Vent covers were all oversprayed.
In the end when I could get a hold of Kyle to try to figure the cost of the extra paint out and why it had occurred he wanted me to figure things out with his sub-contractor Jose rather than resolve things with Jose himself. Given they hired Jose I should have worked out the price with him and he should have figured out what the fair amount to give to their sub-contractor should have been. This made the whole process even more complicated and frustrating.
In the end we were left with a paint job we could have done ourselves and more damage and frustration than we bargained for.
I wish things had worked out, our experience with Hillary was excellent, but unfortunately everything else was terrible.