Interior designers do much more than pick complementary paint colors and choose matching furniture — although those tasks are important parts of the job. Unlike decorators, interior designers usually have an associate of science degree or certificate of achievement in interior design from an accredited program. They’re trained in drafting, lighting and computer aided design (CAD), and are experts in room-specific design and residential space planning. Interior designers use these skills to plan and design safe, highly functional and beautiful interior spaces, from kitchens and bathrooms to family rooms and bedrooms. They determine space requirements, work within building codes and inspection regulations, and meet accessibility standards. An interior designer’s day-to-day job includes creative and technical tasks, both of which often require great communication skills:
- Creating model rooms and visuals using design software.
- Researching different textiles, materials, finishes, lighting and furniture.
- Hiring suppliers, vendors, and contractors.
- Estimating costs and making bids on potential jobs.
Logo design is an important part of your company’s brand development. More than an image with text and color, a logo communicates the tone and personality of your company to your potential customers. Hiring a graphic designer with an appealing portfolio and quality reviews is a solid start to creating a winning logo design. The cost to create a logo can depend on how in-depth the marketing and design services you request are. Designers can create one logo in multiple formats (horizontal, vertical, etc.) to fit both your website and social media platforms, they can create a variety of designs for clients to select from, or they can create multiple logos for one client who needs branding for more than one venture. Logos may be text-only, text and image, or image-only. Many designers and design firms charge by the hour for their services, while other companies offer packages bundled with design services. Here are some examples of cost:
- National average cost to hire a logo designer: $170-$250.
- Average hourly rate for a freelance marketing consultant: about $150.
- Tiered pricing for logo design packages from one firm:
- Package One: $200 for three logo concepts, three rounds of revision, and a variety of format and color end designs.
- Package Two: $350 for 10 logo concepts, unlimited rounds of revision, and a variety of format and color end designs.
- Package Three: $550 for everything included in the Package Two, plus business card design, letterhead design, social media graphics and an email signature.
- Package Four: $850 for everything in the Package Three, plus custom brand guidelines, which outline a strategy for creating a consistent branding in the client’s business.
You can hire an interior design for a job as basic as a one-room consultation or as complex as supervising the design of an entire new home, helping with space planning, choosing color palettes, and shopping for furniture, flooring and artwork. The size and scope of the job will determine how much an interior designer charges; the average national cost for an interior designer ranges from $75 to $100 or more per hour. Other cost factors include the person’s reputation — interior designers to the stars are usually more expensive — and region. Most interior designers charge an average of $100-$225 for an initial consultation, but some will charge an hourly rate, usually starting at an average of $50, for larger projects that require extensive consultations. Hourly rates may be available for smaller projects, such as redecorating a living room or staging a home for sale; for instance, shopping and consulting can cost an average of $75 to $100 per hour, while staging costs and average $95 per hour. For many homeowners, a percentage of an interior designer’s cost is recouped through the professional discounts they receive from their vendors.
Choosing an interior designer is all about finding one whose signature style fits well with your tastes and who can work within your budget. To choose the right professional for your interior design project, ask yourself these five questions:
- What is your signature style? Good interior designers can both describe their personal aesthetic and demonstrate their signature style through their portfolios. Make sure it appeals to you.
- How will you make sure the design fits my lifestyle? Good designers understand that the interior design must improve a homeowner’s experience in their home and fit into their lifestyle; for example, a white suede sofa is a poor choice for a family with large dogs and small children.
- How much do you charge? Depending on the project, an interior designer may charge an hourly rate, a flat fee or a percentage of the project’s total cost.
- How will you stick to my budget? An interior designer should have a plan for staying within your budget, which includes full transparency of costs and flexibility when choosing materials and furnishings.
Because an interior design project is highly collaborative and based on hard-to-define personal preferences, it’s most important to choose a designer who communicates clearly and listens closely to you.
A good logo is an easily identifiable, memorable image that represents your brand. A good logo design aligns with your business model and expresses your company’s core values. A good logo design is simple, appealing, and easy for customers and viewers to quickly process. Some of the key components of a great logo are type, color palette and design. The scale, font and arrangement of the text you select will all make a difference in the feel and representation of your brand. A graphic designer will help you home in on the colors that best represent your identity and help you keep the color palette simple. The design of your logo includes the shapes you select and the way the color and type are arranged together. Investing in the services of a professional to create your logo design is likely a smart investment for any size business. Nationally, the average price range for a logo designer ranges from $170 to $250.