I provide Chinese tutoring and translation through a completely computerized lesson! Online Skype lessons are available.
The teaching materials are from:
- Deutsche Welle
- Financial Times
- Wall Street Journal
* Easy Chinese
* CRI Chinese Studio
* Growing Up With Chinese
For intermediate learners:
* Communicate in Chinese
For advanced learners:
* Happy Journey Across China
* Travel in Chinese with Da Shan
* Happy Chinese S1 - Daily Life
* Happy Chinese S2 - Tourist Chinese
* Sports Chinese
* Special Chinese (Chinese News in slow speed)
I am a top-flight Chinese tutor with more than 20 years of experience teaching Mandarin Chinese to US diplomats, academics, professionals and college students. I offer customized programs for elementary, intermediate and advanced Mandarin Chinese tailored to your individual interests and needs. My capabilities include modern and classical Chinese and simplified and traditional characters.
Expand your knowledge of Chinas history, culture, people, politics and market potential! I provide intensive programs for elementary, intermediate and advanced Chinese.
I have flexible schedule and location. I charge reasonable rates.
Simply tell me your background, interests and objectives, and I will design a customized course of study.
I provide tutoring for listening, speaking, reading and writing of modern and classical Chinese (using both simplified and traditional characters).
Selective topics are:
- Elementary Chinese
- Intermediate Chinese
- Advanced Chinese
- Commercial Chinese
- Cultural Chinese
- Conversational Chinese
- Brain Storming Chinese
- Character Frequency List
- Chinese 900
- 999 Chinese
- 100 Chinese Sentences
- 100 Chinese Family Names
- WTO Chinese
- Chinese Proverbs
- English Proverbs
- Internet Reading
- Chinese Poems
- Art of War
- Chuang Tzu
- Trade Chinese
- Chinese Advertisement
- National Organizations
- Official Titles
- New and Hard Words
- Political Affair
- Traffic Rule
- Blessings in Holiday
Instructor's highlights of qualifications:
- Certified instructor in Mandarin Chinese with more than 20 years of teaching experience
- Developed and implemented the Chinese training program for US diplomats in China
- Designed university curricula for courses in science, technology, the humanities and the social sciences
- More than 20 years of experience with international cultural exchanges
- Fluent in English
I teach intensive elementary modern Chinese.
This is an intensive program in Mandarin Chinese designed for people without previous knowledge of the language. Here are suggested preparation for each meeting:
* Memorize characters, vocabulary, expressions, and patterns.
* Read the text, and prepare questions.
* Do homework and review the characters.
By the end of the program, you will have learned the following:
a. To use the Chinese Pinyin romanization system
b. To understand simple conversations
a. To speak in Chinese on simple topics of daily life
b. To accomplish daily communicative tasks with coherence, accuracy, and fluency
c. To pronounce the individual syllables in the phonetic system of modern Chinese
a. To read simple texts written in modern Chinese
b. To master the basic grammatical structures
c. To read stories and dialogues that include commonly used sentence structures and characters
a. To write in Chinese what you are able to speak and read (about 500 Chinese characters is enough for simple daily communication)
b. To use the basic vocabulary, sentence patterns and grammar in passages and letters
c. To use a Chinese-English dictionary
This part focuses on your particular interests about China and the Chinese language.
- Introduction to China: The introduction to modern Chinese broadens your understanding of Chinas culture, history, politics, and society and, of course, language. You can expect to improve your:
a. Auditory comprehension
b. Oral expression and conversational skills
c. Basic sentence patterns and writing skills
d. Basic reading skills
e. Understanding of the differences between Chinese and English grammar
I teach intensive intermediate modern Chinese.
This is designed for people who have already mastered elementary modern Chinese or the equivalent of it.
This program requires a substantial time commitment. It is essential that you prepare for each meet in advance to assure the most beneficial and rewarding use of your time; therefore, before each class you should:
a. Read the text of the day and prepare your questions
b. Memorize new vocabulary/expressions and grammatical patterns
To consolidate and build upon the foundation of modern Chinese you developed in the elementary Chinese program. In this course, I will introduce you to more complex grammatical structures and improve your fluency in everyday written and conversational Chinese.
At the end of the program, you will have achieved the following competencies:
To understand general ideas in longer and more complicated oral materials that are spoken at a speed closer to normal.
a. To handle a variety of basic communicative tasks
b. To participate in simple conversations on topics beyond the most immediate needs
c. To present prepared speeches with fluency on specific topics
To read consistently with a good understanding of materials of moderate difficulty on Chinese history, culture and society, written in characters.
To meet the basic writing needs for communicating freely in limited social situations.
The purpose of this program is to equip the student with the ability and confidence to initiate a dialogue and converse with a native Mandarin speaker on simple topics of daily life, and to formulate and understand syntactically more complicated sentences (questions, answers, and statements). After this program, you will have the ability to comprehend the general ideas within a paragraph-length speech, as well as to narrate stories and describe familiar subjects in greater detail.
I teach intensive advanced modern Chinese.
This is an intense program for people with special interests or the need to communicate with a high level of fluency in Mandarin Chinese. It is designed for people who have completed intermediate modern Chinese or the equivalent of it.
The program pays balanced attention to the development of the four basic language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. At the end of this program, you will be expected to be able to narrate and discuss with paragraph-length discourse authentic Chinese writings selected from newspapers, periodicals, books and the internet, and to write with a certain literary sophistication.
This program is also designed to give you an exposure to a wide variety of topics and types of writing in Chinese. You are expected to have the ability to solve ordinary language problems independently with the help of dictionaries and reference books.
I also offer the following special classes, and I can design others to meet your individual needs:
* Classical Chinese
- Introduction to the classical style, selections from classical writings, contrastive analysis of modern Chinese and classical Chinese, translation and writing practice
- Advanced modern Chinese readings in modern Chinese with a focus on stylistic and syntactic analysis, composition and translation
* Newspaper and Documentary Chinese
- Documents in modern Chinese generally take a special form and require knowledge of vocabulary words that are not part of everyday conversation. Newspapers are an important source of information about Chinese people and culture. The articles are generally written in an expository style.
Learning to be literate in newspaper and documentary Chinese is essential to becoming an educated reader of Chinese and is an indispensable tool to continue learning the language on your own.
* Business Chinese
- Business Chinese is designed for those who are planning a career in an international business market where Chinese is commonly spoken. Through many practical activities, you will learn to use the appropriate expressions to communicate with the Chinese business community. Topics include basic Chinese resume writing, job interview techniques, business letter writing, the preparation of business dialogues and documents for the initial contact, business card exchanges, introductions, negotiations and contracts.
Other topics I can teach in Chinese are:
- Legal Chinese
- Chinese for the Social Sciences and Humanities
- Chinese for Science and Technology
- Other topics based on your interests
I am a native Mandarin speaker from Mainland China, with perfect pronunciation. As compared with other Chinese tutors and Chinese learning institutions, my teaching is more focused on computerized methods. We will use computer dictionary instead of a big and heavy paper dictionary. We will use a special software to convert Chinese sentences into pinyin so you can read it. We will use another software to read Chinese sentences so you can hear it. We will use your PC to type Chinese and do your home work by email, and we can even use flash document to exercise your Chinese handwriting.
In addition, I may record the lessons and email you in MP3 files. For the remote student, we can use internet for instruction and communication, like email, MP3, Messenger software and other technology.
My rate policy includes two parts: lesson and traffic.
The current lesson rate is $30 per hour ($25 for student), and at least 2 hours for a lesson.
The traffic policy is as follows:
If I can go for lesson by T, it is $10. If I need to drive, the traffic is roughly equal to one-way driving minutes by Google/Yahoo after rounding, from 99 Florence Street, Malden, MA 02148.
Online rate is $25 per hour, and at least 2 hours for a lesson. A lesson should be at least 2 hours.
We can have lessons in your home, office, a public library, or other places. If we have lessons over the internet with Skype, the rate is down to $25 per hour.
Please feel to contact me if you have any questions.