On April 5, 2017, I reached out on Thumbtack to find a landscaper for our property. We had moved into a new home in January, and just had the standard “builder” type landscaping which we did not like. Within minutes of posting I was contacted by City Pro Services Ltd and we soon began chatting back and forth. City Pro Services is a family-owned business, with the entire family taking part in getting the job done.
Andy and Julie set up a time to come and look at our property to see what we had, listened to what we saw as our vision, and made numerous recommendations as to what could work for us. As we worked out a plan they came and met with us a second time to offer more suggestions, and explained how everything would be done. Andy made sure that the plants we wanted would be appropriate for the areas we were going to landscape (sun vs. shade plants). By mid-May we finally settled on a workable plan along with pricing. These are some of the things they did for us:
1) Installation of new shrubs and perennials in front bed.
2) Installation of topsoil, river rocks, and mulch in front bed areas with 25-year weed barrier fabric.
3) New beds by the mailbox area and on other side of driveway, with topsoil, and river rocks splashing in some small perennials to accent.
4) Created a flower bed down the side of the house with hydrangeas, topsoil, and mulch.
5) Planted 4 trees.
6) Created a flower bed in back yard corner with some perennials.
7) Transplant existing plants from the front yard bed to the shed area.
8) Installed topsoil around shed for plants.
9) Installed mulch around shed areas.
10) Installed annuals in all beds on the entire property.
11) Installed river rock and ornamental grass around the outside air-conditioning unit.
12) Installed river rock drainage for the downspouts instead of concrete drains.
13) Installed small river rock for path going from back patio to shed entrance – included river rock and 25 year week barrier fabric.
14) Prepped lot for sod by tilling, cutting, and grading, as well as installing 28 yards of top soil.
15) We purchased sod for side yard areas, and they provided labor for installation. Also 25lbs of starter fertilizer for pre-sodding.
It did take them a while to get us on the schedule, but that was only due to the weather and the fact that they had multiple other jobs going on. Once they started the job they often came in full-force with everyone in the family working hard to get the job done. I will tell you that with the bad soil that we have (very hard clay), they often had to work extra hard to accomplished with would have otherwise been fairly simple. Digging the holes for the 4 trees they planted was not an easy task! Because of our bad soil, Andy did everything he could to set us up for success with everything he planted. He created raised beds with prime topsoil, and used weed barrier fabric to help keep the weeds down.
When we purchased our new home, we purchased the empty lot next to us which had not been developed. We had them prep and lay the sod on that lot. Again, with the soil being so bad, and full of rocks, Andy recommended that they prep the lot and cover it with quality top soil prior to laying the sod. It was a lot of hard work for them, but, again, they wanted to make sure that we were set up for success. It was a very large area, but they did a great job and it made everything look amazing.
Our main requests upon first discussion, was telling them that we loved color and wanted low maintenance. Not only did City Pro Services “meet” our desires, but they “far exceeded” our expectations. Andy was responsive to our every need, was willing to make changes or additions without question, and made sure to educate us along the way as to what needed to be done to make sure that we are able to easily maintain everything they had done. One thing that I really appreciated about Andy, was that he would personally pick out the very best plants that he could. This was especially evident with the hydrangeas that he selected for the side of the house. They are “show stoppers” to be sure!
Would I hire them again? You bet I would!! I’m sure that I will be calling them throughout the coming years to just do some maintenance and cleanup of whatever needs to be done for the next season. They are a hard-working family business, who aim to please, and are willing to work hard to get the job done.