How much does it cost to install flooring?
On average, Thumbtack customers nationwide pay $5,500 for floor installation. The cost can range much lower or higher depending on the type of flooring you select (laminate is far less expensive than exotic hardwood), the square footage of the project, and other important variables like demolition and repair work needed. Here are some examples of average floor installation cost:
- Basic floor installation cost: $3 per square foot (not including product).
- This can range up to $7 or $8 per square foot when tear-out and prep work is required.
- Laminate floor and installation cost: $3-$8 per square foot.
- Laminate is one of the most affordable materials and can start as low as $1.50 per square foot.
- Wood floor installation cost: $3 per square foot (not including product).
- $7 and up for hand-scraped oak planks and other specialized work.
- Luxury vinyl tile installation: $3.50+ per square foot (not including tiles).
- Cost includes prep work, underlayment, leveling and grouting.
- Examples of additional floor installation costs:
- Pouring concrete to level the under-flooring: $1,000-$1,500 for materials and labor.
- Removing carpet: 35 cents or more per square foot.
- Removing difficult ceramic or porcelain tile: about $2.25 per square foot.
- Includes removal of the dura rock.
- Floor repair: $75 minimum.