In one word, this guy is PHENOMENAL. Honestly, you can believe all the rave reviews Harry Stein has gotten here as one of Thumbtack’s top 1 or 2% performers. I’ve had my PC for 10 years and have taken it in for service many times, losing it for a week or more at a time. But this time I lucked out stumbling across Thumbtack and choosing the most knowledgeable and caring computer expert I’ve ever dealt with. And that’s no “bull.” Here are a dozen things about Mr. Stein and how he works that earned him my own rave review.
1. Competent. All those years he spent in the corporate world of software development and engineering support have given him detailed knowledge not only about computers, but also about companies out there that unscrupulously download additional hidden and unwanted files and programs known as “malware.” You’d be shocked at which ones these are. And pleased to learn which ones can be trusted.
2. Effective. He told me at the beginning that I’d notice a significant improvement in my computer’s functioning after his very first session. And I did – a world of difference in speed!
3. Honest. Mr. Stein will not play games or kid you in any way. His motivation for doing this work is pure. He truly wants to help people.
4. Generous. As proof of that, his $75 fee didn’t begin to compensate him for the many hours he spent working on my computer – sometimes far into the night while I slept!
5. Open. He openly shares his knowledge and teaches you what to do, what NOT to do, and why.
6. Thorough. He is so organized and methodical! The first thing he did was set up a chart with When and What columns, on which he kept detailed notes of what he did all the way through. Thirty-eight pages! Believe it – it’s true. I can review them and print them out if I choose. On top of that, he generated and kept up to date a To Do list of problems he encountered – and addressed – along the way.
7. Patient. Whenever I got on line to watch him work, he described what he was doing, and answered any questions I might have had. I took lots of notes.
8. Adaptive. The notes I took in between our sessions, when I came up with new questions, were addressed, and problems resolved
9. Teacher. In that respect, he is a mentor par excellence. If you want to watch him work, he’ll teach you to use tracking and diagnostic programs installed on your computer by the manufacturer that you didn’t even know it had. Plus, he adds his own that are even better.
10. Detective. The man looked at a complicated music editing program he had never seen that I have used for 20 years, and he figured out several long-standing problem I’ve been encountering that were too complicated and technical for me to figure out – even with the help of the program manual and the program’s developer. He loves doing this kind of analytical detective work! And he’s good at it.
11. Invaluable. In addition to all of this, perhaps the most valuable thing to me was the fact that I had complete use of my computer the whole time he worked on it. No inconvenience of knowing it was sitting idly on a shelf for up to a week while the techies at the shop worked on other people’s machines.
12. Resource. My brother in a different state happened to be having his own problems with a very slow, infected computer and Mr. Stein didn’t hesitate to take him on as another (satisfied and grateful) customer.
All told, you cannot go wrong with the phenomenal Harry Stein. He is a real find. Thank you so much, Harry!