My name is Agustin Faundez, and I am currently 20 years old. I am a graduate of South Lakes High School in Reston, Virginia, and am currently a junior at the State University of New York in Fredonia Mason School of Music, majoring in music performance and music therapy with a focus on percussion.
I have been studying and performing music for nine years now. I have studied under the directions of the following:
* Aubrey Adams - Freelance percussionist, retired principal percussionist of Air Force Band, percussionist of Maryland Symphony, substitute percussionist of National Symphony Orchestra, South Lakes High School percussion instructor as well as private percussion instructor and recording musician
* Dr. Karolyn Stonefelt - Recording artist, currently head of Fredonia School of Music Percussion Department, principal percussionist and timpanist of Western New York Chamber Orchestra, freelance percussionist, percussionist with Erie Opera Company, on- and off-Broadway percussionist and retired percussionist from Baltimore Symphony
* John Bacon - Staff percussionist at SUNY Fredonia Mason School of Music, freelance percussionist and substitute percussionist with Buffalo Philharmonic
* Tiffany Nicely - Staff percussionist at SUNY Fredonia Mason School of Music, freelance percussionist, head of Percussion Department at Buffalo University in NY, and substitute percussionist for Buffalo Philharmonic
* Bernard Woma - African drumming instructor at Fredonia School of Music, Ghanaian master gyil player
During high school, I performed with the South Lakes wind ensemble, percussion ensemble, marching band, orchestra, choir, the Fairfax Symphony, the Reston Chamber Community Orchestra, and the All District Symphonic Band.
I have taught lessons for the past three years in a small percussion studio I hold at my home.
I performed in multiple ensembles when in college, such as percussion ensemble, African drumming ensemble, world mallet keyboard ensemble, symphony orchestra and band.
I marched in the South Lakes High School drum line for four years and played snare for two. I am proficient in the warmups, techniques, music reading and writing, am open to teaching methods and the discipline of the drum line standard.
I also have previous experience with teaching in the South Lakes High School percussion and drum line for two summers after graduation of high school. I am proficient in all main percussion instruments, including the snare drum (orchestral and rudimental/drum corps), the mallet keyboard, the timpani, and the drum set as well as auxiliary instruments, such as the tambourine, the triangle, the shakers, the hand drums, the djembe, and many more.
As a musician, I am able to read, write and perform music, have great patience for working with others as well as always eager to learn something new. I believe that I am a polite, positive, encouraging, friendly, independent, and responsible individual and am always open for new experiences.
With the snare drum, I can teach orchestral and rudimental/drum corps styles of snare drum. I focus on 40 rudiments, repertoire, technique (matched or traditional grips), musicality, expression, and quality of sound. I can also teach instrument tuning, care and maintenance.
For the mallet keyboard percussion, I am proficient at marimba, xylophone, vibraphone, glockenspiel, balophone, and gyil. I also focus on technique, accuracy, musical expression, quality of sound, four-mallet (Stevens/traditional crossed/Burton crossed) and two-mallet technique and grip.
On the timpani, I have the ability to teach timpani technique (French/German), musicality, tone quality, tuning accuracy and methods, and repertoire.
With the drum set, I am a versatile player on the drum set. I can teach multiple Latin styles, hip-hop/rap, jazz, rock and funk. I focus on limb independence, musical expression, style understanding, ability to play and adjust with other musicians, tone quality, polyrhythms, rudimentary use on the drum set, versatility and popular repertoire for the drum set.
Importance of Music
I believe that music is a primary necessity in everyone's everyday lives and by studying music through instruments, we learn not only about these instruments but also about ourselves and how our musical personas play a roll in each individual's life.
Percussion is as primal as an instrument gets. It dates to prehistoric times with ancient drums and the basic ability to keep a pulse. It is an instinct felt in all our lives through our heartbeat, yet it is a special craft that takes all life to perfection and creates unbelievable moments of joy and passion through music.