Celebrities sure do know how to party. Whether it’s a kid’s birthday, baby shower, or just a random Saturday in August, celebs always seem throw amazing bashes that are extravagant, star-studded, and totally over-the-top (in the best way, of course).
Here are 10 we wish we’d been invited to with a few ideas about how to throw a similar one of your own with some help from a party planner. Just don’t be too bummed if Beyoncé has to RSVP “no.”
Kourtney Kardashian’s “Breakfast at Tiffany” Baby Shower
Maybe having a shower for your third baby is a little over-the-top, but that’s how the Kardashian’s roll. Kourtney’s “Breakfast at Tiffany” shower was a brunch at the Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills, but this theme is something anyone could do. Here are just a few ideas to help you get started:
- Keep the décor simple: black and white with splashes of Tiffany blue.
- Decorate little square cakes like Tiffany boxes and display them on tiered silver trays.
- Place a tiara at everyone’s seat.
- Put flower arrangements in Tiffany blue boxes or vases.
- Make a Tiffany blue colored punch and serve it from a glass drink dispenser with spigot so that it doubles as decor.
Image Source: In Style
Drake’s Pool Party
Mansion + pool + celebrity friends = the best party of the summer. And while it’s not quite the same without the mansion or the famous guests, throwing a pool party is a low key way to get friends together when the weather’s good. All you need is a barbecue, pool toys, coolers packed with ice and drinks, and, uh… a foam machine? And though your party might not be at a mansion, at least you won’t have to worry about the potential drama of Kanye West and Amber Rose bumping into each other.
Ciara’s Superhero-Themed Party
Russell Wilson threw Ciara a superhero-themed party at the Warner Bros. lot for her 30th birthday and though Beyoncé dressed like X-Men’s Storm likely won’t make your party, the theme is still one worth borrowing. Photo: via extraTV
Heidi Klum’s Annual Halloween Party
Heidi Klum’s outrageous Halloween parties are totally famous in part due to her over-the-top costumes (she’s been everything from a psychadellic butterfly to an old woman to Lady Godiva… complete with a horse), but also because everyone’s who’s anyone shows up. While you might not be able to get the celebs at your Halloween party, you can still make it memorable:
- Rent out a space and bring in a professional to do the decorations. Halloween is one holiday where the crazier the décor is, the better.
- Bring in a DJ and someone to do lighting for a major dance party.
- Give your party a theme so that people are really inspired to dress up.
- Hold a costume contest with fun prizes to reward people’s hard work and creativity.
Photo: via Mirror.co.uk
Taylor Swift’s 4th of July Party
Taylor Swift invited all of her friends to her Watch Hills, RI mansion for a 4th of July party filled with pool time, star-spangled onesies, fireworks, and fun. You may not be able to get Nick Jonas and Gigi Hadid to your house, but that’s no reason not to inflate the pool toys, hand out the mini American flags, and have a celebration all of your own.
Jennifer Aniston’s Bowling Party
Jennifer Aniston rented out the Spare Room inside the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel for her 46th birthday. The venue has two bowling lanes, a full bar, and a photo booth, plus lots of bar games like dominos and backgammon. Her guest list included fiance Justin Theroux, and friends Courteney Cox, Amy Adams, Tobey Maguire, and Jimmy Kimmel. And while the cast of “Friends” might not be available, anyone can rent out the Spare Room for about $5,000.
Photo: Spare Room
Mario Lopez’ Carnival-Themed Birthday Party
This one was for Lopez’s two children, but everyone loves a carnival, so there’s no reason to save the circus theme for kids (Tumblr threw a similar party for its employees in 2014). And you don’t have to blow the bank either.
- Use red and white stripes for the main decorations with pops of bold, primary colors. This is the perfect party for lots and lots of balloons.
- Hire a magician, face painter, clown, and balloon artist. (Or just one of those if you’re on a budget.)
- Bring in popcorn and cotton candy machines.
- Make a carnival cutout using a piece of plywood and paint for your guests to stick their faces in for fun photos.
- Have someone bring in fun carnival games, like a ring toss and balloon darts, or make them yourself at home.
Photo: Dawn Gregg via People Magazine
Oprah’s Joint Birthday Bash
Oprah threw an extravagant 80th birthday bash for her friend Bob Veloz just days after she turned 60. There were over 200 guests at the black tie party at the Bacara Resort & Spa in Santa Barbara, including Rob Lowe and Robert Redford. Guests were treated to an indulgent dinner after which Patti Labelle performed. This one might be tough to replicate, but one thing you could do that Oprah did is ask all of your guests to wear red. It makes for great photos.
Photo: Closer Weekly
Marc Jacob’s Studio 54 Party
Marc Jacobs may have taken his NYFW party’s dress code a little far with suggestions on the invite like “fur coats over lingerie,” “platinum records as head gear,” “riding in on a white horse,” and strict rule for “no flat shoes, matte surfaces, or natural looks,” but giving your guests ideas about what to wear can actually be helpful and ensure they come dressed to kill. Here’s what else you’ll need to throw a Studio 54-themed party:
- Disco music and lots of it.
- Plenty of drinks (consider hiring a bartender).
- A big dance floor.
- Disco balls and lots of shiny décor.
Photo: Marc Jacobs via Fashionista
Kanye West’s 38th Birthday Party
Kim Kardashian spent $110,000 to rent out The Staples Center for Kanye’s birthday so that he and his friends could play basketball. She also got the Lakers cheerleaders to show up and cheer and had personalized jerseys made for guests. As if that wasn’t enough, she also had a private court constructed at their home. Guess that means next year they can just throw his birthday in their backyard. As if…
Want help throwing a celebrity-style party? Here’s how to hire an event decorator in your area.