Thumbtack movers have helped hundreds of thousands of customers move millions of miles across the U.S. – and they’ve seen it all. That’s why we asked expert Thumbtack movers to provide their top tips for a successful move.
Here are Thumbtack movers’ top 10 tips that will save you time and money:
1. Ask your mover about their licenses, insurance coverage, and bonds. Insurance coverage, licensing and/or bonds means the movers are liable for covering any damage that occurs during the move. After all, you don’t want any last minute surprises.
2. Ask your mover for packing suggestions. They’ve done this thousands of times before and can help you figure out how many boxes you need and how to pack fragile items.
3. Make an inventory list to share with your mover. Movers want to know how much stuff you have, so they can send the right size truck. An inventory list will help them be prepared on the day of the move.
4. Book before it gets busy. Moving companies can get really busy, especially towards the end of each month when everyone wants to move. Plan ahead so you don’t get stuck hauling it all yourself.
5. Clarify your moving estimate. Make sure you know what is included in the quoted price and ask about the cost of any extras you might need (e.g., packing materials, crates for fragile items).
6. Create detailed labels for your boxes. Make sure each label clearly describes the box’s contents and room where the box should go upon arrival. Labels make packing and unpacking so much easier.
7. Ask about fuel cost and road tolls. Make sure you know whether fuel fees and tolls are included in the price of the move. You don’t want any surprises when you get the final bill.
8. Ask how long the company has been in business. Ensure that you are doing business with an experienced company that has established practices. This is especially important if your movers will be moving large furniture or dealing with complex logistics.
9. Ask your movers what you should expect on move day. Ask your movers detailed questions about what to expect on move day. Ask what time they plan to arrive and how long it typically takes to load and unload the truck for your size move.
10. Rely on your gut – select a mover you trust. Trust is a central concern in choosing the right company to help with your move. Hire the company that gives you a reasonable rate, has good reviews, and is able to clearly answer all of your questions.