Survey findings and summary
Thumbtack has released
Idaho's results from the fourth annual Thumbtack.com
Small Business Friendliness Survey. The study, drawing upon data from over 12,000
small business owners, provides new insights into state and local business
environments across the nation.
"After a two-month survey of thousands of small business owners nationwide,
Idaho's reputation as a state welcoming of small business has been affirmed," says Jon Lieber, Chief Economist of
Thumbtack. "Creating a business climate that is welcoming to small, dynamic
businesses is more important than ever, and Idaho had a strong showing across the board, winning accolades from small businesses in every category that we asked about."
Some of the key findings for Idaho include:
- Idaho excelled across every category for small business friendliness, earning a top five spot in every graded category except for the ease of hiring new workers.
- Small businesses in Idaho were the most optimistic in the nation about the outlook for the national economy.
- Idaho had the second highest share of start-ups in the country, with 19 percent of respondents saying they had been in business for only one year or less.
- Idaho has seen a huge improvement in hiring costs from the first survey year of 2012 when it earned a D. This year the state earned a B+.
- Idaho had the highest share of entrepreneurs in the country who derived their primary form of income from their business.
- The top rated states overall were Utah, Idaho, Texas, Virginia and Louisiana. The lowest rated were Rhode Island, Illinois, California, Connecticut and New Jersey.
A copy of the survey's full methodology and analysis paper is available upon
request. Please email Thumbtack's Chief Economist, Jon Lieber, at
firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy
of the paper and with any questions or comments you might have.
Cities in Idaho
Coeur D Alene, ID
Idaho Falls, ID
Post Falls, ID
Twin Falls, ID