Writing your own resume may seem impossible. There is something daunting about finding the perfect words to land you that dream job. If that's how you feel, turn the task over to a professional writer who can shape your resume based around the highest standards of your targeted field. Although someone else will be writing it, your resume will still reflect you, your career, your accomplishments and your goals. Don't worry that your voice will be lost; the pro will work closely with you to channel your voice and goals and shape your resume to catch the attention of hiring managers. And you are the one who will land the job with your smarts, skills and interview savvy.
A quality resume writing service doesn't rely on templates or formulas, but custom-creates each resume to reflect the client's unique talents. Resume writing pros have inside knowledge of how resumes are filtered and read. You may have a terrific message in your resume, but if you leave out crucial keywords or formatting, your resume may never even see human eyes. Companies like Power Writers USA know the formatting and keywords relevant to each industry. They are also up-to-date on applicant tracking software (ATS) that digitally filters electronically submitted resumes before they reach hiring managers. A skilled resume writer can format your resume to not get lost in the ATS system.
Resume writing services are available for people at any stage of their career, from those seeking entry-level positions to top-tier executives. Resume writers provide services for almost any industry, including healthcare, sales and marketing, financial services, education, information technology, e-commerce, manufacturing, retail and more. As a rule of thumb, the more complex your resume, the higher the writing rate will be. Some professionals have received certifications from resume writing associations, but often pricing is also based on experience and reputation.
A variety of factors affect the average cost of resume writing services.
The length of time that the pro will be working with you will affect your project cost. The higher the job level or the more complex the client's experience, the more time and expertise required to custom-create an effective resume. Some companies will consult with you about your needs, then quote you a flat rate depending on the product they will create for you. Other resume writing services offer tiered pricing at three main career levels: entry, professional and executive. Here's an example of a resume writer's average tiered pricing:
- Resume for entry-level positions: $159
- For recent graduates or those with up to three years of work experience
- Resume for professional-level positions: $259
- For those in mid-career development
- Resume for executive-level positions: $359
- For directors, medical doctors, attorneys, etc., seeking high-level placement
Perhaps you are a film director and want to break into the Hollywood scene, or a medical researcher who wants to work with an esteemed research university. You want a resume writing pro who has experience and understanding of your targeted industry or field. If advanced knowledge in an area such as science, the military or IT is necessary to write a targeted resume, the client will likely pay a premium for that expertise.
Resume writers may charge set rates, regardless of a client's professional level. For example, many resume writers ask a set rate of $120-$130 for a resume makeover, using the client's existing resume format. This fee includes a phone consultation, resume makeover and a unique cover letter. This is a great option if you have an existing resume that you think is okay, maybe even better than mediocre, but you want it to be stellar. A professional resume writer can take what you've got and rework it to really make it shine.
Resume writers with specialized experience, advanced degrees or an outstanding reputation may charge higher prices for their services. Some pros are certified by membership organizations such as the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches. This organization provides standardized training to resume writers. Those who pass certification testing may use the trademarked title of Certified Professional Resume Writer.
You just learned about the job of your dreams but they stop accepting applications in two days. Don't panic! Resume pros are equipped to handle last-minute jobs, although quick turnaround requests typically increase the overall cost of resume writing services because the pro must set aside their other projects to work solely on your resume. Often rush fees are billed as additional fees to standard rates. For example, resume writers may charge an additional $100 for same-day services, $75 for two-day service or $50 for three-day delivery on an entry-level resume writing request. The rush costs increase if the resume writing requirements are more complicated or time-consuming.
Many pro resume writers can offer other career-related services to aid your professional growth. Purchasing multiple services at once generally reduces the overall cost per service. For example, entry-level resume writing services with add-on packages are offered at reduced rates as more services are bundled together. Prices increase with higher-level professional resume requests. Some average examples:
- LinkedIn profile rewrite: $99
- LinkedIn profile, cover letter and thank-you letters: $298
- LinkedIn profile, cover letter, thank-you letters and one hour of career coaching: $377
Who needs a professional resume
Paying for a professionally written resume isn't just for heavy-hitting executives. Investing in a top-notch resume brings returns regardless of where you are in your career path.
- New graduates: Grads benefit from hiring a pro resume writer who will have expertise about the job market that the entry-level worker won't have. The resume writer will finesse a recent grad's scholastic, work and extracurricular experiences to showcase how they will shine in their dream job.
- Career change: If you know you are ready for a change in career, a pro resume writer will be able to show how your current skill set is transferable to your new, targeted field. Hiring a career coach can also be a wise investment if you feel stuck in your career but aren't sure what shift you want to make. Once you've identified your new direction, the resume writer will know the keywords and phrasing to make you marketable.
- New job: You may just be ready to take a job with more responsibility, switch companies, or seek a promotion within your current company. A pro resume writer gives you the polish to lock down an interview for a new position.
- Executives: Even bigwigs want new jobs. Just because you excel at your executive level job doesn't always mean you can summarize your expertise in a punchy one- or two-page resume that gets you that coveted interview. High-level executives work with experienced resume writers who have the skill to clearly convey their qualifications.
Mistakes to avoid
If you're planning to write your own resume, Power Writers USA wants to help you succeed. They've written thousands of resumes that land great jobs and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly of DIY resumes. Here Power Writers USA shares common mistakes they've seen, including not using spell check; not following formatting rules; leaving out crucial keywords; including unnecessary information (like your love of kiteboarding and film noir); being too creative with fonts and design; leaving out all of your pertinent contact information; being too specific (leave this for the interview); and using passive language. When you hire a professional resume writer, your only job is to share your experience and history with the pro, and they put all the pieces together.
- Paying for a well-written resume is an investment in your career. The average (unemployed) job seeker loses $951 per workweek while job hunting. Hiring a professional resume writer can provide a big return on investment by helping you land a job more quickly.