How do you find a good real estate lawyer?
If buying or selling property feels overwhelming and the thought of finding a good real estate lawyer seems daunting, you’re in luck. There are some simple steps to follow for finding a trustworthy, affordable real estate lawyer to help with your property and legal needs.
- Determine what kind of real estate lawyer you need. Many states require a real estate attorney to handle sale closing documents. For more complex matters such as a real estate deal gone awry or foreclosure, you’ll want to find an attorney who has successfully handled cases like yours.
- Look for online reviews of real estate lawyers in your area. Verify that they have proven experience closing or winning cases like yours and that they are in good standing with the state bar association.
- Choose two or three lawyers to interview. Many offer a free consultation to learn about your case and provide information about rates. For standard real estate closing services, in-depth interviewing might not be necessary.
- Ask about their rates and whether they charge by the hour or provide services for a flat fee. Ask whether a retainer is required, and what the total bill should be for a case like yours.
- Ask for a write-up of the services that will be covered by the projected costs.
- Make sure you like the real estate agent and they treat you with respect. Confirm whether they or another person will be working on your case and make sure you’re comfortable with all members of their team.
- Pay the retainer and hire your lawyer.