A note to our community regarding COVID-19. Learn more

What does a new furnace cost?

Thumbtack Editors
Answered

Heating typically constitutes 42 percent of a homeowner’s utility bill, according to Energy.gov. If your heating bills are through the roof, it might be time to compare what you’re spending on utility bills to the cost of a new furnace. A new furnace can cost between $1,000 and $2,700 for standard big-box forced-air furnaces, and more than $10,000 for advanced technology or high-end brands.

With a new furnace you could lower your total energy bill by 30 percent while also reducing your carbon footprint. To achieve these savings, Energy.gov recommends combining proper equipment maintenance, insulation, air sealing, strategic thermostat settings, and — of course — energy-efficient HVAC equipment. The furnace cost you’re facing may seem large upfront, but should save you money in the long term with improved home heating at a lower cost. Furnace cost is dictated by brand, efficiency, technology and the British thermal units (BTUs) needed to heat your home. AFUE is another important acronym. It’s short for annual fuel utilization efficiency, and it represents what percentage of the fuel becomes heat for the home. Energy.gov explains that an AFUE of 90 percent means 90 percent of the energy in the fuel is used to heat the home, and the other 10 percent escapes.

 

Ready to hire a Heating Specialist?

You never pay to use Thumbtack: Get cost estimates, contact pros, and even book the job—all for no cost.