hired 2 times on Thumbtack
I tutor many students whose needs fall within the typical range of academic and test prep needs. I also specialize in working with students with specific needs such as those who are far behind in school and need to catch up due to illness or trauma, those with learning disabilities, those on the autism spectrum, those with ADD or ADHD, and those who are gifted.
I have taught and tutored for over 18 years, and currently engage in curriculum development, editing academic materials, tutoring, and occasional adjunct teaching in the Washington, DC metro area. I work with students to help them develop:
- a greater understanding of (and, often, a greater appreciation for) the subject matter at hand
- a successful approach to learning in and out of the classroom, including organizational and study skills
- mathematical and scientific reasoning and problem-solving skills; both technical and holistic approaches to language
My background includes a master's degree in mathematics; extensive and successful teaching experience at elementary, middle school, high school, and college levels; recent math/science coursework that underscores my appreciation of lifelong learning; and a background in information technology and professional writing. I have scored in the 96th-99th percentile on standardized tests (usually the 98th or 99th percentile). Current and past references are available. Many clients with whom I have built a relationship ask me to return to tutor their child's siblings, and/or refer me to friends and colleagues.
I tutor the following subjects:
- pre-calculus (including IB math)
- calculus (including IB and AP levels)
- statistics I and II (college and high school, including IB levels)
- SAT I and II, GRE, GMAT, PSAT, ISEE, SSAT, PRAXIS, TJ, and SOL Exams
- linear algebra (undergraduate)
- discrete math
- differential equations (undergraduate)
- math and science CLEP exams
- elementary and middle school math
- English at all levels (grammar, writing composition, editing, etc.)
- Reading comprehension
- algebra I and II
- general chemistry (including IB and AP levels) and organic chemistry I
- physics (general college-prep, honors, and introductory college levels)
- oceanography (high school and introductory college levels)
- high school history, economics, civics
My rate is $50/hr at my home in the Pimmit Hills area of Falls Church. For other areas, I charge $55-$80 for the first hour per session, depending on distance and commute time/traffic, and $60 for each additional hour per session, prorated for partial hours.
Aside from tutoring and instruction, I write curriculum materials for various publishing companies and organizations, including textbook chapters and test/assessment items for state and national examinations. I am therefore very knowledgeable about the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOLs), the Maryland state standards, and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). I have written/edited materials for the PARC and SBAC exams, as well as for several state tests, and have experience writing and editing material for major publishers of practice content for the PRAXIS, SAT, GRE, and GMAT exams.
I work with school-age students, college students, home-schooled students, and working adults. I can meet in Falls Church/Pimmit Hills or within a 20-35 minute drive of my home
I love when a student who was frustrated with a subject or topic leaves with a smile on his or her face and indicates that he/she has learned something. Even better is when someone goes from disliking a topic (such as math) to wanting to study more of it in the future!
Falls Church, VA 22043
- Email verified
- Address verified