- What should the customer know about your pricing (e.g., discounts, fees)?
A 40% deposit (non refundable) is needed to schedule (I will send you and invoice), the remaining 60% is due on the day of your session.
- What is your typical process for working with a new customer?
1) Customer will let me know what kind of session they are looking for and set up (indoor or outdoor). 2) Customer will let me know their budget and time frame so I will schedule it accordingly. Email and phone number will be asked for so I can send the Invoice 3) In order for me to set date on my calendar a 40% deposit (non refundable) is needed from client. 4) During this whole process I will text back and forth with client on ideas and inspiration for their session. 5) The day of the session: I will meet client and do the session for the time planned. At the end of the shoot client will cancel the remainder 60% of the session. 6) I will do a basic edit of the photographs and color correct the images. In 7-10 days after the shoot I will send the link to the Gallery where client can download images to share in Social Media and buy prints.
- What education and/or training do you have that relates to your work?
I am Graphic Designer-Art Director and Photographer