How do you find a good immigration lawyer?
Research is key to finding a good immigration lawyer. The immigration process can be overwhelming and complex, so a trustworthy advocate is critical. When you have identified several eligible candidates, verify their immigration law license to protect yourself and your finances. Once you have a set of licensed immigration lawyers in mind, choose one based on these considerations:
- Mutual respect: You want an immigration lawyer who treats you and your family with kindness and consideration. You’ll do the same for them.
- Availability: Before hiring, note if they have responded promptly to your emails and calls. You don’t want to hire someone you have to chase around.
- Proven success: Read former client reviews and research their success rate with cases similar to yours.
- Transparent rates: Ask directly about what their rates are, how they bill, and what they estimate your legal fees will be. Ask if they will sign a fee agreement, and get receipts for all fees paid.
- Verify who will handle your case: Sometimes junior lawyers work on firm cases. This is okay, as long as you have discussed it and are comfortable with it. When junior lawyers or paralegals are working on your case, ask if the hourly rate is lower.
- Be wary of anyone who promises you specific results: No case is certain, and the immigration lawyer should be honest about what you can expect.
For more, check out our tips for smart hiring on Thumbtack.