What is your typical process for working with a new customer?
Here is my start to finish process for typical projects:
- I meet the client at the site or on the phone to discuss the project and my services.
- I determine your scope of work, and I send you an official, flat fee bid for your plans.
- You accept the estimate :)
- Measuring appointment.
- Drafting plans.
- Send plans to structural engineer (if req) for his bid.
(my engineer process is $1000 to $1500 less than others)
- The engineer, truss company, Title 24 do their work (as req), and we add it to my set.
- Plans are taken in to the building department for over the counter or submit visits (may be the client or my service)
- Plan check corrections are handled by me and my guys until you have a permit (typically free unless there is unanticipated added work).
- Last, you send me photos when its done!
What education and/or training do you have that relates to your work?
I am LEED AP, which is Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design Accredited Professional. I offer passive environmental design techniques and ideas on projects when I see the opportunity.
Do you have a standard pricing system for your service? If so, please share the details here.
Once I have enough information about the project and property, I provide a flat fee bid for your set of plans which includes a scope of work that I know your plans will need. Occasionally there are additional fees for changes and/or rare unanticipated additional work, but I try to avoid those at all costs. I'm fairly certain that this approach is what makes my business successful. Customer satisfaction drops when the price goes up.
What types of customers have you worked with?
Right now additions, remodels, guest houses, garages, code violations, but I'm trying to get into more new home jobs (discounts available).
What advice would you give a customer looking to hire a provider in your area of work?
Don't hire the cheap guys! Its a roll of the dice because if you fire them and come back to me, I have to start your project from scratch. I usually am not able to use their partial work that you have already paid for. I'm sure there are some new guys out there who are genuine, but some of them provide a partial set for a low price, then charge you more to finish it. Or they disappear on you. Or they just are not capable of taking it all the way. I have heard many stories. My service provides high level quality for a medium level price, and you wont be disappointed.