1. Y&S Home Builders Inc
- 7 years in business
- 10 hires on Thumbtack
- Serves Thousand Oaks, CA
On Monday, February 12, 2018, 8:30 am, Yossi business owner of Y&S Home Builders showed up at my home with his crew to replace my old attic insulation with new R-38, rafter radiant foil, plus an attic exhaust fan. I explicitly contracted Yossi, business owner of Y&S Home Builders, for the job because he promised me to execute the entire job according to all city and building codes, that he would absolutely fulfill and uphold all proper, work and ethical standards as required by building safety codes. ...On June 11, 2018 I had my scheduled annual whole house termite inspection. But, when the termite inspector came out of the attic he caused concern by calling my attention to a possible impending electrical problem with the attic fan hook-up - installed by Y&S Home Builders. I immediately contacted my electrician who did indeed confirm verify an alarming electrical violation - no proper, secure nor safe connection of the attic exhaust fan to the metallic junction box. That the non-metallic Romex, Y&S used, was already very soft, from the very intense attic heat, and that the sharp edges of the metallic box had already begun cutting into the outer now very soft insulation (caught just in the nick of time). That no connector, of any kind, was used at all for the non-metallic conductor entering the metallic junction box 1/2" knockout hole (see pic). My electrician informed me that Romex type cable was very soft to begin with and was installed through the sharp edges of the metallic junction box exposing the attic and entire house to a possible potential safety, shock and/or fire hazard. According to the NEC Code (National Electrical Code) all connections into a metallic junction box MUST be in accordance with NEC approved metallic connectors and mechanically secure. My entire attic was originally and exclusively wired with metallic conduit, throughout - for good reason – but, for the exception of the newly installed attic fan. My electrician also informed me that the bare ground wire was loosely tied to the box cover screw and improperly connected to the metallic junction box - another NEC code violation. Additionally, to make these detrimental matters even worse, the Romex mfg. instructions emphatically warn not to use non-metallic Romex in locations where the temperatures can possibly exceed 140 F. With current high ambient temperatures, my attic temperature(s), on many hot days, has already exceeded 135 F. And, the summer season hasn't even yet officially begun. I was horrified to learn of this extremely risky and perilous fire hazard condition brought into my home - via Y&S Home Builders – endangering, jeopardizing and risking not only my house, myself, but my family, friends and loved ones. The biggest risk anyone takes is that their electrical work can cause a fire. Yossi had lied right to my face, when leading me to believe and trust that his company would perform the best work according to present-day code and safety standards, yet knowing that the electrical work would not be performed by a qualified, licensed bonded electrician! ...Then it dawned upon me, when Yossi came to my home for us to meet, for the very first time, he was afraid to even crawl into the attic to inspect the job for himself, personally and first hand. As such, he wore a surgeon’s mask and just momentarily peeked into the attic. When I inquired why, he told me he was allergic to the insulation. When an owner of an attic insulation installation business is allergic to his own product - well, I should have been forewarned right then and there of the possible potential future dangers and pitfalls!! …Now, I'm faced with the additional expenses of having a licensed professional electrician rewire, that entire attic exhaust fan, in accordance with national NEC codes, and city building safety standards. ...On a side note: not even related to Y&S's shoddy, shameful and illegal electrical work, they also missed installing any insulation to an entire section directly adjacent to my attic furnace - thereby, not even completing nor fulfilling their insulation installation responsibilities and contractual obligations. ...In all fairness and good conscience, I could not/would not recommend nor refer anyone in the interest of trust, confidence, safety and sound building ethics, to ever hire Y&S Home Builders for any insulation or attic work.
NEC (National Electrical Code) Article 370 Section 17, Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Fittings General Installation:
“This article addresses installation requirements for fittings used to join raceways, and to connect raceways and cables to boxes and conduit bodies. Connectors, couplings, and conduit hubs are examples of fittings discussed. … Section 370-17 states that conductors entering boxes, conduit bodies, or fittings must be protected from abrasion. Compliance with this requirement prevents sharp edges from rubbing, scraping, or cutting into a conductor’s insulation. Without the proper protection, by fittings or other means, conductors entering knock-out openings of metal boxes (or enclosures) are susceptible to damage. Scrapped or cut conductor insulation creates a safety hazard by exposing live conductors. Section 370-17(a) stipulates that openings through which conductors pass must be adequately closed. Compliance with this regulation is usually accomplished by simply tightening the fitting that secures the conductor to the box. Improper selection or use of a fitting may constitute a violation of this requirement. … Safety is every electrical inspectors goal, and effective electrical inspections will help to minimize, or may eliminate conditions that lead to fire and electric shock hazards. … Article 100 in the National Electrical Code defines a Qualified Person as One familiar with the construction and operation of the equipment and the hazards involved. …Electrical Inspectors often encounter poor or shoddy installations performed by persons who are not qualified or even familiar with the electrical system and its operation. In many cases, unqualified individuals have installed or performed inspections of electrical systems with little or no training, or knowledge of the rules of the National Electrical Code!”"