To whom it may concern:
It is my pleasure to write this unsolicited letter of recommendation on behalf of Keith Scott. Keith was the general contractor for a remodeling project on the exterior of my house in the fall of 2014. I had no prior relationship with Keith, who was recommended by an architect friend of mine. The scope of the remodeling involved window replacement (22 windows and 3 patio doors), siding replacement (approximately 4000 sq. ft.), replacement of 2 decks along with installation of stainless steel cable railing, and roof replacement (approximately 2400 sq. ft.) for a three level house built in 1978. The project took 8 weeks and involved 4 work crews (carpenters, siding, painters, roofing) plus electrician and structural engineer, at a budget of just over $100,000.
While major remodeling is inherently stressful for almost any homeowner, Keithâs services as a general contractor were invaluable, and I am extremely pleased with the final result. Specifically, I would give Keith top marks in the following areas:
1. Quality of work performed. The quality of work done was consistently top notch. Keith used subcontractors who were knowledgeable, skilled, and competent in their respective trades. They were conscientious about following project specifications, and their work product rarely needed improvement or revision.
2. Quality of work crews. Other than one relatively minor exception, which Keith promptly addressed once I brought it to his attention, the workmen whom Keith utilized were professional, reliable, courteous, and respectful of the homeownerâs property and privacy. They had an old school work ethic (often 10-hour days, some Saturdays), good work habits, strong safety orientation, and emphasized getting the job done right rather than doing it fast. Their pride in their work was evident. They tidied up at the end of each workday. I also found them to be trustworthy, and my wife and I felt comfortable with allowing them access inside our home.
3. Project management and coordination. Keithâs prior experience working in construction really paid off. He was knowledgeable about all aspects of our project, and was able to plan, coordinate and manage the activities of different work crews effectively. He remained closely involved in overseeing the project from start to finish. His excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills and commitment to follow-through are assets, which enabled him to juggle the extensive details involved in our project without missing a beat. Keithâs familiarity with building codes and dealing with city hall also facilitated a smooth and hassle-free process when it came to building permits and inspection.
Keith Scott letter of recommendation
Page 2 of 3
4. Integrity and professionalism. Throughout the project, I was impressed with Keithâs commitment to generating a top quality product, rather than maximizing his profit margin. When situations arose where extra work needed to be done (because of hidden problems that were not apparent until work on the house had commenced), Keith either (if it was relatively minor) took care of it without charging me extra, or (if it was more extensive) involved me in an informed decision making process that culminated in a change order which was fair. In another situation in which I was not satisfied with the aesthetics of nail holes on the siding battens even though the latter had been installed according to the manufacturerâs instructions, Keith agreed with me and arranged to have the nail holes filled and battens painted - a job which involved many additional hours - without passing the expense on to me.
5. Effective communication. Keith kept me closely informed of work crew schedules, delivery dates, and projected completion dates of different phases of our project. His communication (whether by cell phone or email) was always clear, informative, and helpful. He was either available on his cell phone, or returned my phone call within 2-3 hours. We never had a single miscommunication throughout the 2-month project. His communication with the work crews was just as effective.
6. Flexibility and effectiveness in dealing with unexpected developments.When unforeseen problems surfaced (e.g., water damage behind a wall, structural problems with the existing cantilevered joists for an upper deck), Keith worked diligently with me to identify a solution that was acceptable to me. He utilized resources effectively (e.g., enlisting the services of a structural engineer in a limited fashion) and creatively (e.g., identifying a special type of edge vent for my roof that had minimal overhang), and directed the work crew to make changes necessary for implementing the solution.
7. Responsiveness to homeownerâs needs and concerns. Keithâs commitment to homeowner satisfaction was evident in his actions. On the few occasions when I brought a request or concern to his attention (e.g., when I wanted the roofing done before all of the exterior painting was completed), he listened attentively, and always took appropriate action that demonstrated responsiveness to my needs or concerns. When the painting crew fell behind of schedule, Keith showed up on a Saturday and helped with the exterior painting. His service orientation is truly described by the motto: âThe homeownerâs needs come first.â
8. Truth in advertising. In his proposal, Keith gave a clear breakdown of costs for each facet of the project. His contract was just as detailed in describing the work to be done and the itemized costs. Same with the change orders. When the project was completed, all the work was done as described and agreed upon, and there were no hidden costs, extra expenses or unpleasant surprises. As a homeowner and customer, I felt Keith delivered exactly what he had promised, at the agreed upon price.
9. Value. I had solicited three bids for my remodeling project. Although Keithâs bid was not the lowest, I am absolutely convinced that he delivered the best value (in terms of the work done) for the price. Keith Scott letter of recommendation Page 3 of 3
10. Sensitivity to worksite appearance and neighbor relations. Our project required a huge dumpster and a portable toilet (for the work crew), and there was very limited parking. Keithâs placement of the dumpster, portable toilet, and construction materials was based not solely on function and convenience, but showed a consideration for the aesthetics of the worksite. The work crew parked their vehicles in ways that were minimally disruptive to the neighborhood traffic, and their conduct never caused any discomfort to our neighbors. In the two months during this project, there was not one single neighbor complaint! Instead, three different neighbors passed on compliments about the work crews (e.g., âthose guys really work hardâ).
In closing, I am very pleased with the final product which Keith was instrumental in delivering, and I am extremely impressed with his work as a general contractor. In a world where shoddy workmanship and poor service are unfortunately all too common, Keith is indeed a rare find. I have been a homeowner for over 30 years, and I took this unprecedented step of writing an unsolicited letter of recommendation for Keith because I believe that exceptional work should be recognized. I would not hesitate to hire Keith again, or to recommend him to my friends and neighbors. I recommend Keith Scott to you most enthusiastically, and without any reservations. If you have any questions about my experience with Keith, please feel free to call me.
Thomas Mitchel A very satisfied homeowner