Based in our Minneapolis office, Jerry Helget is a licensed patent attorney through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He practices principally in the areas of:
* Trade dress
* Intellectual property litigation
* Trade secrets and related matters
Jerry has been practicing in intellectual property since 1983. He has a strong technical background in mechanical, electro-mechanical, digital electronics, communications, biotechnology, medical, automotive, dental, food, heavy equipment, sports, outdoor, toy, building, fluid and air handling, petroleum, jewelry and chemical technologies. He has a special interest in products and services related to the outdoors, hunting and fishing.
Experienced in researching, preparing and prosecuting patent, trademark and copyright applications, Jerry has prosecuted to issuance over 940 patents in the U.S. alone, and has prosecuted and currently maintains over 590 trademark registrations. Jerry has successfully enforced the legalities of many U.S. patents for numerous clients. He is astute in contract negotiations and enforcement litigation, and has been involved in more than 38 U.S. District Court infringement actions.
Jerry also is a successful patent and trademark holder personally, with several commercial business enterprises. Jerry also does significant international patent and trademark prosecution throughout the world. Jerry currently manages more than 210 foreign patents and more than 127 foreign trademark registrations with an extensive network of foreign patent and trademark attorneys and agents.
Much time, money and development goes into thousands of products each year. These products must be patented and trademarked to secure a clients niche in the IP industry and to hinder competition from copying the clients products and trade names. Patents, trademarks and copyrights are a starting point. Many products are patentable and need a federal trademark registration for marketing. If you are the first to think of an idea, then you have the right to claim, manufacture and sell your product exclusively.
Jerry possesses strong connections in the manufacturing, licensing and marketing industries in the United States and abroad, offering clients an extensive network and full range of national and international business legal services.
An avid hunter and fisherman, Jerry knows how important new products are in making hunting and fishing trips pleasant and successful. New products are the hallmarks of the hunting and fishing industries. These products must be patented and trademarked to secure industry niche and to thwart competition from copying products and names. Jerry understands and uses these products. He is a frequent speaker at the Archery Trade Association and Shooting Hunting Outdoor Trade annual conventions.
Dedicated to giving back to the community, Jerry is active in several organizations. He currently serves on the following boards and committees:
* Boy Scouts of America, Northern Star Council - President's Cabinet
* Arnold S. Leonard Cancer Research Fund - Board of Trustees
* Forest Lake Lake Association - Board of Trustees
Jerry is admitted to practice in the State Court of Minnesota, the U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, the U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the State Court of North Dakota, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Jerry received his B.A. magna cum laude from the University of Minnesota with masters study in physiology. He received his law degree from William Mitchell College of Law. Jerry also has studied digital electronics at St. Paul Area Vocational Institute.
Bar admissions include:
* North Dakota
* U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
* U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
* U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
* U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
* U.S. Supreme Court
Professional associations include:
* Hennepin County Bar Association
* Minnesota State Bar Association
* American Bar Association
* American Intellectual Property Law Association
* Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association
* International Trademark Association
* Archery Trade Association
* National Shooting Sports Foundation
Published works are the following:
* "Understanding Patents and Trademarks," 2009 Archery University, Archery Business (January 2009)
* "Steering Clients Toward Successful Patents," The Best Practices of Leading IP Lawyers, Aspatore Books 2007
* "Insurance Protection from Lawsuits," Archery Business 2001 Annual, Page 2 Gerald E. Helget
* "Expert Witness Reports," The Hennepin Lawyer (January 1999)
* "Patent Your Invention," Archery University, Archery Business (1998)
* "Having It Your Way: Slogans as Marketing Tools," The Hennepin Lawyer (December 1992)
Classes and seminars taught are:
* "Patenting a 'Better' Mousetrap and Understanding Trademarks," 2009 Shooting
* Hunting Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show, National Shooting Sports Foundation
(January 2009), and
* Archery Trade Association Convention (January 2009)