How much is a DJ?
When you hire a local DJ, expect to pay roughly between $300 and $800. But be aware that the actual price will vary based on several factors, including the length of the DJ’s set and how much of a presence they need to be. Larger venues can drive up the cost, as this requires more equipment, soundchecking and setup. Adding extras like confetti, fog, light shows and black lights also adds to the cost.
Get cost estimates from the best DJs near you to find out how much you should expect to spend for your event.
Read our cost guide, “How much does a DJ cost?”
How do I find a cheap DJ?
To find a cheap or affordable DJ for your party or wedding, search for local DJs near you and ask for free cost estimates from several of them. While some DJ profiles may provide an automatically generated starting cost, it’s important to contact the DJ to get an idea of how much your particular request will cost. This also gives you the opportunity to ask them other important questions and make sure you are a good fit.
How do you book a DJ for a party?
To book a party DJ, start by comparing local pros in your area. Check out their ratings and reviews to find out:
- Are they professional?
- Do they show up on time to set up for the party?
- Do they know how to feel the energy in the room and adjust the music accordingly?
- Are they friendly to guests and take song requests?
- Do they specialize in the genres you want (pop, Top 40, hip-hop, etc.)?
- Do they have experience playing at your type of event (weddings, birthday parties, etc.)?
Whenever possible, watch videos of their performances.
Your last step is to contact three to five different DJs near you to ask them questions and get price quotes.
How much are wedding DJs?
Hiring a DJ typically costs anywhere from $300 to $1,200. It all depends on how long they’ll be working at your wedding and other various factors. The cost to hire a wedding DJ is usually higher than the cost to hire a DJ to play at a birthday party or similar event.
To find out exactly how much your wedding DJ will cost, ask for a cost estimate from several professionals in your area.
How do you find wedding DJs?
Use Thumbtack to find wedding DJs in your area. Here, you can quickly see which local DJs have the highest ratings and best reviews. You can also see how many times each DJ has been hired, whether they’re responsive and if they’re in high demand.
How much do DJs charge per hour?
Hourly rates for DJs can vary depending on where you live, the event type (weddings, prom, birthdays, etc.) and many other factors. For an accurate hourly rate, request cost estimates from top-rated DJs near you.
Why do DJs ask how many guests are at the wedding?
It’s helpful to let your DJ know how many guests will be attending the wedding so they can ensure they have the right sound system and equipment. They may also ask more questions about your guests so they can ensure they have music that caters to the crowd.
What questions should you ask wedding DJs?
To ensure you hire the best DJ for your wedding, ask these questions:
- Are you available on my wedding date?
- How much do you charge, and how do you set your prices?
- What’s included in your rate (e.g., set up, clean up, etc.)?
- How many weddings have you played at?
- Do you have any references I can contact?
- What kind of music do you specialize in?
- Do you provide your own equipment, sound system, speakers, etc.?
- Do you provide any other services (e.g., photo booth, lighting, etc.)?
- Can guests request songs?
- Will you accept a “Do Not Play” list?
- How early would you arrive at the venue to set up?
- Do you take breaks throughout the event? If so, how many and for how long?