Electricians, handymen and TV installation specialists may all provide television mounting services. The person who does the mounting should be qualified and knowledgeable about basic construction concepts as well as working with audiovisual cables. In general, no specialized certificates are required to provide television mounting services, but as always do your diligence and make smart hiring decisions.
It’s important to find an experienced professional who will ensure the TV wall mount meets building code. Most regions have fire codes that don’t permit high-voltage power cords behind walls (low-voltage wires like HDMI and video cables are generally acceptable). A basic wall mount on drywall may take approximately one to two hours, while more complex mounts on brick or stone with hidden cables can take three or more hours. If you need more electrical outlets installed near your entertainment system, you may want to hire an electrician. Check out our tips for smart hiring on Thumbtack.
Elevate your home style with television mounting services. The national average price for television mounting services ranges between $100 and $130. Factors that can affect cost are the material of the wall you want the TV mounted on, whether you want the wires hidden, and any additional entertainment system connection you desire. It probably costs more to mount a TV on brick, stone or concrete than on drywall or plaster due to the added labor required to drill holes. For example, a company may charge an additional $99 to mount a TV on a brick wall. Here are some examples of average costs for television mounting services:
- Basic TV wall mount: $40. Does not include bracket, device connection or strip management.
- TV wall mount: $119. Includes bracket, mounting services, strip management system (for concealing external wires), and connection of all entertainment devices.
- TV wall mount with wires hidden inside wall: $139.
- Installation of additional electrical outlet: $65.
- TV wall mount over fireplace with wires hidden: $179-$249.
- TV wall mount and up to 5 speakers wall-mounted with hidden wires: $399.
You may be able to mount your flat screen TV above your fireplace for a more streamlined look in your living room. In fact, TV mounting professionals can hang your flat screen TV flush with a wall or from a tilting or full-motion bracket mount in any room in your home. A tilting or full-motion mount may be the best option above a fireplace so you can tilt the TV down for the best viewing angle. Whether the wall above your fireplace is brick, drywall, concrete, stone or plaster, most television mounting services can accommodate your needs. Hardier wall surfaces like concrete or brick will require more labor and expertise to mount, and will likely have a higher price range.
If you want your AV and cable wires hidden in the wall, you will also pay a higher price due to the added time and skill to properly drill the holes and run wires. Before mounting your TV above your fireplace, consult with the manufacturer about necessary distance from heat sources. If the space above your fireplace gets too warm, another location could be better for the longevity of your TV. Your television mounting services may take between one and two hours, or more depending on your home theater setup.
If you’re installing your dream home theater, you want the perfect sound system to round it out. The cost for surround sound installation will vary based on the speaker system you select, the amount of wiring and prep required for the job, and labor rates in your region. Home theater installation specialists can advise on the best surround sound speakers for your space and the technology you are using. Here are some examples of average home theater installation costs and the cost of surround sound speakers:
- TV wall mount and up to 5 wall-mounted speakers with hidden wires: $399.
- 60-inch TV and small home system: $2,080.
- Equipment cost: $1,680.
- Five box speakers and subwoofer: $500.
- Three HDMI wires: $30.
- Surround amp: $250.
- 60-inch TV and bracket: $900.
- Labor cost: $400 Including setup, wiring and TV mounting.
- Projector and screen system plus audio wiring throughout home: $12,900.
- Equipment cost: $9,900.
- Approximate wire costs: $2,700.
- Projector and bracket: $1,500.
- 110-inch screen: $600.
- Surround amp: $500.
- 5-inch ceiling speakers and sub: $1,400.
- Remote control system: $400.
- Eight zones of speakers and volume controls: $2,800 ($350 each)
- Labor cost: $3,000. Includes prewiring for 5-inch ceiling speakers, one subwoofer, one 20-inch to 50-inch HDMI, Cat. 6 control wire to projector, 1.5-inch tube for future wire changes, and wiring for two to eight additional audio zones throughout the home. All equipment (audio boxes, amps, cable box, etc.) is concealed. The audio zones are controllable by iOS devices from anywhere in the home.