Who I am
I am a performing arts performer and an educator. I teach all level flute for over 15 years. I also teach beginner-intermediate piano , all level music theory, and aural skills*.
Where I locate
I live in Newark, NJ. I also go to students house in Manhattan area. I also teach online lessons. I don’t have a car, so if you are looking for a teacher to go to your house, please consider this.
If you take lessons in Manhattan area at my studio, starting 60/hr. If you prefer home lessons, please send me a message first then I will give you a quote, it will depend on your location. Special discount: the more lesson you book, the more discount you get.
I will go to adult students house for 45 or 60 minutes lessons; as for students younger than 10 years old, there are choices of 30, 45, and 60 minutes lessons.
What does work with me look like
My teaching style is goal-oriented. Usually I will set a goal with my students to achieve in a certain amount of time. The reason is, I do expect my students to practice and refine their skills in between classes, and I will provide as many useful techniques and methods as possible. I hope my students can improve because if they improve, it is more likely they will stay motivated in the long run.
I am not saying you cannot have fun learning. Don’t worry, I am not a military style teacher.
What are my experiences
I have taught piano and flute for a long time, most of them are age 4- 48. I have taught in different countries and cities, including Taipei(Taiwan), Madison (WI),NYC and Queens(NY), Jersey City (NJ). I can speak fluently Mandarin Chinese and English.
My music style is mainly classical. Sometimes will do some jazz, blue, folk and broadway. I am a classical trained musician.
My teaching and performance experiences:
- Preparation for ABRSM all grades
- preparation for New York State School Music Association exam all grades
- Agape music & arts center instructor
- church pianist/organist (2004-2015)
- New jersey performing arts center
-after school and elementary school general music classes
- middle school wind band instructor
-chamber music faculty of WYSO youth orchestra
Send me a message if you are interested in listening to my students’ playing
* (aural skill include ear training and music theory. In this lesson, you will learn to listen to music more acutely, and play/sing back what you hear. It is VERY useful to improve quickly in your music lesson no matter what instruments you learn. )See more