What is a facial?
A facial is a restorative cosmetic treatment for the skin on your face. Facials can be performed by a licensed cosmetician, esthetician, dermatologist or other qualified provider. Spas, medi-spas and other skin care centers offer facials. Most offer different types of facials that address the most pressing skin care needs such aging, dryness, sagging, pigmentation, etc.
The national average cost for a facial is $60-$80. More complex facials, such as microdermabrasion or chemical peel, will cost more, as will services provided by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. The products used can also affect the cost of your facial; high-end creams and serums will likely result in a higher cost. For most non-medical facials, the practitioner will perform a skin assessment, determining your skin type and learning about your lifestyle, diet and skin care concerns. Then the facialist will cleanse and exfoliate the skin, extract any blackheads and clear clogged pores, give a facial massage, apply a treatment mask and then apply moisturizers. Typically facials are relaxing and restorative, leaving your skin clear and dewy.
What is a mini facial treatment?
A mini facial treatment is an abbreviated version of a classic European facial treatment. Typically provided in 30 minutes, it’s short enough to complete during a lunch break but long enough to feel luxurious. Before any treatment begins, most providers will do an assessment of your skin to determine the appropriate products to use, such as anti-acne or anti-aging. During a mini facial treatment, the licensed esthetician or cosmetologist will prepare your face by gently wrapping it in warm, moist towels. The heat of the warm towels loosens the pores of your skin, readying it for cleansing and treatment. After steaming, the skin care provider will cleanse your skin, then apply an exfoliant, often a fruit enzyme exfoliant. Next, the provider will apply the appropriate serums and moisturizers for your skin type, and often give a small massage. Mini facial treatments are more cost-effective than traditional facials, which typically last 60-90 minutes. They’re the perfect splurge when you need an affordable pampering session.
Do massage therapists offer remote or virtual services?
Ask massage therapists near you about the possibility of remote services. You might come across profiles that state the therapist is offering remote services such as lessons and techniques you can do on your own, with a friend or with a partner.
Which facial is best?
The wide variety of names, methods, techniques and technologies for facials can be confusing. The best facial for you depends on your skin care needs. If you’re aging and want to address wrinkles and sun spots, you may want a chemical peel, while for acne you may want a deep pore cleansing treatment. Consulting with a licensed esthetician, cosmetologist or dermatologist will help guide your choice. Skin care professionals specialize in assessing your skin and determining which course of treatment will help you achieve your goals. Here is a basic overview of the best facials for different outcomes:
- Reduce wrinkles: A chemical peel can help stimulate skin cell turnover, creating a fresh new layer thanks to the salicylic or glycolic acids. It’s important to work with an experienced professional when getting a chemical peel so you choose the right level for your skin type.
- Prevent acne: Enzyme facials or LED facials help battle acne breakouts.
- Smooth skin tone: Microdermabrasion facials are done using a small tool that polishes off your dead skin cells to reveal a fresh layer of skin underneath.
- Relax and rejuvenate: A traditional European facial often features warm steamed towels, a facial massage, deep skin cleansing and exfoliation, extractions (as desired), face masks, and applications of serums and moisturizers to leave your skin refreshed and you feeling great.
What is included in a facial?
There are many types of facials you can receive based on your skincare goals. Pricing for facials will vary based on the skin care provider you see and your geographic location. Facials provided in a medi-spa by a medical doctor or nurse, or at an upscale day spa, will typically have higher average prices, as will facials in more expensive parts of the country.
- European facial: Typically lasts 60-90 minutes. Includes steaming (often with warmed towels), cleansing and examination of the skin, exfoliation, extraction of blackheads and clearing clogged pores, application of masks specific to the skin’s need (anti-aging, etc.), application of serums and moisturizers, and massage.
- Microdermabrasion: 30-90 minutes. Microdermabrasion sloughs off the dead skin on the surface level, revealing brighter skin underneath. The practitioner uses a small, motorized tool that polishes your skin with a diamond tip or stream of very fine crystals. Usually the treatment is preceded by a thorough cleansing. After the microdermabrasion, the practitioner cleans away any remaining dead skin, and then applies a hydrating mask or moisturizers.
- Back facial: About 60 minutes. Includes a thorough cleansing, exfoliation, extraction of blackheads and clearing of clogged pores, an acne-fighting mask, and mini-massage to keep the skin on the back clear and acne-free.
- Gentleman’s facial: 50-75 minutes. Treats areas that most affect men. Includes cleansing, assessment of skin type, exfoliation and extraction to address razor burn or ingrown facial hairs, a hydrating mask, and a facial massage followed with moisturizer.
- Jessner’s peel: 30 minutes. This is a light chemical peel that removes the surface layer of the skin to create a smoother look and feel.
- More powerful peels are also available, typically at a higher cost.
What is the purpose of a facial mask?
A facial mask is used for therapeutic cosmetic purposes. A facial mask can be applied at home or by professionals during a facial at a spa or medi-spa. There are many different types of facial masks, all with different ingredients and applications to help you achieve your skin care goals. The active ingredients can help guide your choice. If you want to reduce oil and clear your pores, a clay mask with bentonite or French green clay may suit your purposes. For deep hydration, a mask with a humectant like hyaluronic acid will keep skin dewy and fresh.
There are many ways to apply facial masks. Always start by thoroughly washing your face before applying a mask. Pre-made sheet masks are draped loosely over your face to allow your skin to absorb the ingredients while you relax. The sheet mask can usually be removed within 15-30 minutes. Clay masks are applied wet by hand, carefully avoiding the eyes. After the clay works its extractive magic and dries, you wash it off to reveal clear skin underneath. Moisturizing masks that are applied by hand are often only wiped off, leaving a rich layer of moisturizer to continue to nourish the skin.
How long is a Swedish massage?
A Swedish massage can range from 45 minutes to 120 minutes or more. A longer massage allows the massage therapist to give you an all-over massage and then circle back to focus on areas in need of extra bodywork. Some massage therapists recommend that your first massage be longer to give the therapist time to learn more about your health and any injuries or pain before providing you with a healing massage. The longer your massage, the more it will cost. Swedish massage is made up of five body strokes designed to relax, heal, improve circulation and maintain health. The techniques are called effleurage, friction, petrissage, tapotement and vibration. During Swedish massage, all parts of the body are addressed, and the client is often unclothed and draped with a cloth. Swedish massage is proven to be beneficial to mental and physical health, and has been shown by the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine to boost the immune system.
Is hot stone massage safe in pregnancy?
If you’re ready for relaxation and relief from pregnancy pains, prenatal massage may be a great healing option. Once your prenatal care provider has approved you for pregnancy massage, look for a licensed massage therapist who also has training and certification in prenatal massage techniques.
The safety of hot stone massage during pregnancy depends on several factors including the stage of your pregnancy and where on the body the hot stones are applied. The massage therapist should avoid raising your core temperature or using hot stones on the abdomen. When in doubt, talk to your prenatal care provider.
How much are pregnancy massages?
Prenatal massages can be a safe and therapeutic way to alleviate the aches and pains of pregnancy. A prenatal massage can promote a sense of relaxation and well-being for expectant mothers. The national average cost for a pregnancy massage ranges between $70 and $90. The cost of a pregnancy massage will vary depending on where you live, the length of the massage, and the massage therapist. Typically, the longer a massage, the higher the cost. Some massage therapists charge the same rate per minute, regardless of massage length, while others charge less per minute for longer appointments. Here are two examples of average prenatal massage costs:
- Therapist A: Offers a 30-minute massage for $45, 45 minutes for $60, 60 minutes for $75, 75 minutes for $90 and 90 minutes for $105.
- Therapist B: offers a 30-minute massage for $45, a 60-minute massage for $85, a 90-minute massage for $115 and a 120-minute massage for $145.
What is a deep tissue full body massage?
A deep tissue full body massage is a form of healing bodywork. At your first massage, your massage therapist will do a brief intake. They will ask you questions about the type of pressure you’d like to receive during your deep tissue massage, any previous massage experience you’ve had, and any injuries or sensitivities you have. You can remain clothed, or the massage therapist will provide draping so that even if you’re not wearing clothes you are always fully covered. Deep tissue massage may be a good option for people with chronic pain or muscle tension. The systematic deep tissue strokes will work to break down any scar tissue or stiff tissues and create ease in your body again. Massage therapists use their hands, forearms, fists and knuckles to knead and stroke your muscles and loosen adhesions. Although deep tissue massage work is intense, it should not be painful, so communicate clearly with your massage therapist so they know if you’re having any discomfort. The national average cost of a deep tissue massage is between $70 and $90.