How much does it cost to put in a home theater?
You will likely pay between $2,000 and $33,000 to install a home theater. A large part of this cost is the home theater system itself, which includes the TV, wiring, sound system and disc players. You will also need to install lighting, comfortable seating and potentially sound-dampening to prevent noise leakage. The installation will also come with labor costs and may require more than one technician.
For a more accurate cost estimate, request quotes from several home theater installation professionals near you.
How high should you install a TV mount on a wall?
The actual height you mount your TV will depend on the layout of your room. If you’re mounting it above a fireplace or in an alcove, the height of these structures will determine the mounting height of your TV. However, Bob Villa recommends positioning your TV 42 inches on-center in conventional rooms with standard seated viewing.
Who do I hire to set up my home theater?
While there are a number of different professionals who are capable of installing a home theater, your best bet is to go with a dedicated company that specializes in such systems. Search for top-rated home theater pros in your area on Thumbtack, and narrow down your search by looking at the customer ratings, reviews and project photos showing their work.
Before you hire anyone, look into their licensing and certifications. Then, request pride quotes from at least three professionals. Choose someone who offers fair pricing and boasts high-quality work.
Can a TV be mounted above a fireplace?
You may be able to mount your flat screen TV above your fireplace for a more streamlined look in your living room. In fact, TV mounting professionals can hang your flat screen TV flush with a wall or from a tilting or full-motion bracket mount in any room in your home. A tilting or full-motion mount may be the best option above a fireplace so you can tilt the TV down for the best viewing angle. Whether the wall above your fireplace is brick, drywall, concrete, stone or plaster, most television mounting services can accommodate your needs. Hardier wall surfaces like concrete or brick will require more labor and expertise to mount, and will likely have a higher price range.
If you want your AV and cable wires hidden in the wall, you will also pay a higher price due to the added time and skill to properly drill the holes and run wires. Before mounting your TV above your fireplace, consult with the manufacturer about necessary distance from heat sources. If the space above your fireplace gets too warm, another location could be better for the longevity of your TV. Your television mounting services may take between one and two hours, or more depending on your home theater setup.
How much does it cost for surround sound installation?
Here are some examples of average home theater installation costs and the cost of surround sound speakers:
- TV wall mount and up to 5 wall-mounted speakers with hidden wires: $399.
- 60-inch TV and small home system: $2,080.
- Equipment cost: $1,680.
- Five box speakers and subwoofer: $500.
- Three HDMI wires: $30.
- Surround amp: $250.
- 60-inch TV and bracket: $900.
- Labor cost: $400 Including setup, wiring and TV mounting.
- Equipment cost: $1,680.
- Projector and screen system plus audio wiring throughout home: $12,900.
- Equipment cost: $9,900.
- Approximate wire costs: $2,700.
- Projector and bracket: $1,500.
- 110-inch screen: $600.
- Surround amp: $500.
- 5-inch ceiling speakers and sub: $1,400.
- Remote control system: $400.
- Eight zones of speakers and volume controls: $2,800 ($350 each)
- Labor cost: $3,000. Includes prewiring for 5-inch ceiling speakers, one subwoofer, one 20-inch to 50-inch HDMI, Cat. 6 control wire to projector, 1.5-inch tube for future wire changes, and wiring for two to eight additional audio zones throughout the home. All equipment (audio boxes, amps, cable box, etc.) is concealed. The audio zones are controllable by iOS devices from anywhere in the home.
- Equipment cost: $9,900.
How much does it cost to mount a TV?
Elevate your home style with television mounting services. The national average price for television mounting services ranges between $100 and $130. Factors that can affect cost are the material of the wall you want the TV mounted on, whether you want the wires hidden, and any additional entertainment system connection you desire. It probably costs more to mount a TV on brick, stone or concrete than on drywall or plaster due to the added labor required to drill holes. For example, a company may charge an additional $99 to mount a TV on a brick wall. Here are some examples of average costs for television mounting services:
- Basic TV wall mount: $40. Does not include bracket, device connection or strip management.
- TV wall mount: $119. Includes bracket, mounting services, strip management system (for concealing external wires), and connection of all entertainment devices.
- TV wall mount with wires hidden inside wall: $139.
- Installation of additional electrical outlet: $65.
- TV wall mount over fireplace with wires hidden: $179-$249.
- TV wall mount and up to 5 speakers wall-mounted with hidden wires: $399.
Can you mount a TV in drywall?
Yes, it’s possible to mount a TV on drywall. To make sure the job is done right and you don’t end up damaging your wall or injuring yourself, consider contacting one of the best TV wall mount installers near you. When contacting professionals, make sure you tell them you wish to mount a TV in drywall.
What type of TV mount do I need?
There are several types of TV mounts, including fixed mounts, tilting mounts and full-motion mounts. A fixed mount is sturdy but offers no movement, and a tilting mount tilts vertically. A full-motion TV mount swivels and tilts for the maximum number of possible viewing options. You can also mount your TV from above with a ceiling TV mount. Whichever TV mount you choose, ensure it can support your TV’s weight and size. If you need help choosing and installing a TV mount, contact a TV wall mount installer near you.
How do I hide the wires to my wall-mounted TV?
You can hide wires from a hanging TV on a wall by putting them behind the wall. However, this requires some drilling or buying an in-wall power kit. Alternatively, you can use what’s called a “raceway” — a hollow metal or plastic channel — that runs down your wall and hides your cables from sight. To get the job done right, and avoid risking damage to your wall, hire a professional TV wall mount installer near you.
Can you mount a TV without studs?
Yes, you can mount a TV without studs using hollow wall anchors, which are used to hang objects on a wall, according to Digital Trends. However, these have limits. Make sure they can handle the weight of your TV.
If you’re not comfortable mounting a TV on the wall without studs by yourself, hire a top-rated professional in your area instead.