How long does it take to get your ducts cleaned?
The amount of time air duct cleaning takes can depend on how extensive your duct system is, how old your air ducts are, and whether they have ever been cleaned. On average, expect a standard size home (between 2,000 and 3,000 square feet) to take 2-5 hours for one to two technicians to clean. Here are the proper protocol and equipment you should expect from a professional duct cleaning service, as recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency:
- All doors and access ports opened to ensure the entire duct system is inspected and cleaned.
- Thorough system inspection prior to cleaning to identify possible asbestos-containing materials. If asbestos is present, specially trained and equipped contractors must do the removal.
- Use of approved vacuum equipment that exhausts particles outside of your house. If the vacuum exhausts inside your home, it must be HEPA equipment.
- Furnishings and carpet covered and protected.
- Soft-bristled brushes only on fiberglass duct board and sheet metal ducts internally lined with fiberglass.
- Ductwork properly protected.
- Adherence to guidelines and practices set down by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association.