How much will it cost me to replace my air conditioner?
If your AC system is in need of replacement, the national average air conditioner installation costs range from $2,930 to $3,670. Costs can vary greatly depending on whether you are replacing a wall or window unit or a central air system. A central air system is connected to ductwork that runs throughout your house and pumps cooled air into your various rooms via vents and registers. A central air conditioning system is far more costly than wall or window units. Selecting a central AC system that has a high seasonal energy-efficiency ratio (SEER) will likely lower both your carbon footprint and your utility bill. The type of AC system you select, where you live in the country, and the regional costs of HVAC work, duct removal and replacement, and ductwork repairs that are needed are some of the main factors that affect the cost of new air conditioner installation. Here are some examples of average costs for installing forced-air systems.
- Install Lennox 16 SEER single-stage AC unit: $5,743
- Removing and disposing of the old furnace, moving and reconnecting the water heater, and installing a 3.5-ton gas furnace. The job took 18 hours of labor.
- Installation of a new 14 SEER single-range cooling system: $4,000-$6,000
- Installation of a new 16 SEER two-range cooling system: $6,000-$8,000
- Installation of a new 20 SEER variable capacity cooling system: $8,000-$12,000