What do moving companies do?
Moving companies provide a range of services to help you physically move out of one residence and move into a new place. But moving companies can do so much more than just haul your belongings across town in a truck. The national average for moving company prices ($250-$350 per hour) reflects the range of services provided. Here are examples of all the ways moving companies can help:
- Packing: Moving companies can pack your belongings for you. They typically charge a flat rate for both the box and the labor to pack the box. The more time-consuming the belongings are to pack, the higher the cost per box. For example, books could be $5 per box, linens $10 per box, and fine china and glassware $18 per box.
- Specialty moving: Safely move a baby grand piano, a oversize aquarium, or other specialty items with the help of pro movers.
- Storage: Many moving companies can store your belongings while you wait for a new home to be remodeled or closing of your new home to be finalized. If you’re moving long-distance, they often provide short-term storage free for a specific length of time, and a set rate after that (such as $60 per square cubic foot of storage space used).
- Long-distance moves: No need to rent a trailer and move your things; a long-distance moving company can haul your belongings across the country for you. Typically they charge by the cubic foot for moves, with prices based on your destination.
- Unpacking: Moving companies can even unpack your belongings for you after they have moved them. This is not as common, and will definitely increase the price, but can be helpful if you’re not able to tackle this task yourself.