What does a dog walker do?
We all know our dogs love going on long, adventure-filled walks, but jobs and family and commuting can make it difficult to give them the leash time they deserve. You can hire a professional dog walker to make sure your furry friend gets adequate exercise and outdoor time each day. A professional dog walker may be an individual contractor or work for a dedicated dog-walking company. In either case, you want to make sure the pro has the appropriate insurance in case of an emergency. Some people opt to give the dog walker a key to their house; others to have them pick up the dog from the yard. Dog walking can happen as often as multiple times per day, or just a few times a month as needed. Here are some questions to ask when you are interviewing a new dog walker:
- Will you or someone else be walking my dog?
- Do you have a backup plan if you can’t make it for a scheduled walk?
- Will you walk my dog by itself, or do you walk several dogs at once?
- What are your different walk routes?
- When will you pick up and drop off?
- How will we communicate?
- Do I have to commit to a schedule or are you flexible?
- What’s your cancellation policy?
- What’s your response plan if my dog gets injured or becomes sick?
- How and how often do I pay you?
- Do you offer package pricing if I buy multiple dog walks up front?