What should I do before sending a computer in for repairs?
Before you send your computer to a technician to fix it, take the following precautions:
- Make sure you hire a reputable, top-rated professional to handle the repairs. Look at past photos of work they’ve completed and read their customer reviews on Thumbtack.
- Back-up your data. To ensure you don’t lose the data on your computer, back-up your files to an external hard drive.
- Ensure you have access to important information. If you need to access certain files or information from your computer, make sure you can access that information through a cloud storage system or external drive.
- Erase sensitive information. If you have files (documents, photos, etc.) that contain sensitive information about your finances, accounts, passwords, etc., delete them before you bring your computer to a repair shop.
- Log out of your accounts. Make sure you’re logged out of your bank, social media and other accounts.