To find a cheap or affordable DJ for your party or wedding, search for local DJs near you and ask for free cost estimates from several of them. While some DJ profiles may provide an automatically generated starting cost, it’s important to contact the DJ to get an idea of how much your particular request will cost. This also gives you the opportunity to ask them other important questions and make sure you are a good fit.
When you hire a local DJ, expect to pay roughly between $300 and $800. But be aware that the actual price will vary based on several factors, including the length of the DJ’s set and how much of a presence they need to be. Larger venues can drive up the cost, as this requires more equipment, soundchecking and setup. Adding extras like confetti, fog, light shows and black lights also adds to the cost.
Get cost estimates from the best DJs near you to find out how much you should expect to spend for your event.
Read our cost guide, “How much does a DJ cost?”
To book a party DJ, start by comparing local pros in your area. Check out their ratings and reviews to find out:
- Are they professional?
- Do they show up on time to set up for the party?
- Do they know how to feel the energy in the room and adjust the music accordingly?
- Are they friendly to guests and take song requests?
- Do they specialize in the genres you want (pop, Top 40, hip-hop, etc.)?
- Do they have experience playing at your type of event (weddings, birthday parties, etc.)?
Whenever possible, watch videos of their performances.
Your last step is to contact three to five different DJs near you to ask them questions and get price quotes.