How much does it cost to put in a home theater?
You will likely pay between $2,000 and $33,000 to install a home theater. A large part of this cost is the home theater system itself, which includes the TV, wiring, sound system and disc players. You will also need to install lighting, comfortable seating and potentially sound-dampening to prevent noise leakage. The installation will also come with labor costs and may require more than one technician.
For a more accurate cost estimate, request quotes from several home theater installation professionals near you.
How much does it cost for surround sound installation?
Here are some examples of average home theater installation costs and the cost of surround sound speakers:
- TV wall mount and up to 5 wall-mounted speakers with hidden wires: $399.
- 60-inch TV and small home system: $2,080.
- Equipment cost: $1,680.
- Five box speakers and subwoofer: $500.
- Three HDMI wires: $30.
- Surround amp: $250.
- 60-inch TV and bracket: $900.
- Labor cost: $400 Including setup, wiring and TV mounting.
- Equipment cost: $1,680.
- Projector and screen system plus audio wiring throughout home: $12,900.
- Equipment cost: $9,900.
- Approximate wire costs: $2,700.
- Projector and bracket: $1,500.
- 110-inch screen: $600.
- Surround amp: $500.
- 5-inch ceiling speakers and sub: $1,400.
- Remote control system: $400.
- Eight zones of speakers and volume controls: $2,800 ($350 each)
- Labor cost: $3,000. Includes prewiring for 5-inch ceiling speakers, one subwoofer, one 20-inch to 50-inch HDMI, Cat. 6 control wire to projector, 1.5-inch tube for future wire changes, and wiring for two to eight additional audio zones throughout the home. All equipment (audio boxes, amps, cable box, etc.) is concealed. The audio zones are controllable by iOS devices from anywhere in the home.
- Equipment cost: $9,900.
Who do I hire to set up my home theater?
While there are a number of different professionals who are capable of installing a home theater, your best bet is to go with a dedicated company that specializes in such systems. Search for top-rated home theater pros in your area on Thumbtack, and narrow down your search by looking at the customer ratings, reviews and project photos showing their work.
Before you hire anyone, look into their licensing and certifications. Then, request pride quotes from at least three professionals. Choose someone who offers fair pricing and boasts high-quality work.
What is a home theater system?
A home theater is a combination of a large-screen TV or projector and hi-fidelity surround or stereo sound — essentially, an entertainment center made to mimic the experience of going to a movie theater to see a movie. The size of the screen plays a large role in this experience, but the sound is also important. With surround sound, you can hear sounds not only on your left and right but also in front of and behind you.
How do I build a home theater sound system?
Building your own home theater sound system is a challenging process, requiring expert knowledge of audio-video systems, electronics and wiring. For this reason, it’s often better left to the professionals if you don’t have the skills, experience or time. These pros can help you select the best screen, projector or TV, and sound system for your space. They can also manage the electrical work, including installing new lighting and remote control of the entire room, ensuring all of this equipment works properly and safely.
How do you choose a home theater system?
Start with the TV. You can choose between a projector or a TV, but if you choose a TV. Next, choose the room and base your speaker selection on its size and dimensions. While large speakers are appealing, some more discreet speakers can fit unnoticed in ceilings and walls.
Next, decide on what streaming services you want. Finally, pick out the seating and lighting you need for the full theater experience.
Which is better: a sound bar or speakers?
A sound bar is less expensive than a receiver-based system with multiple speakers, but the sound quality may not be as good as a system with several speakers and a subwoofer, according to a report.
However, if budget is a large concern, a sound bar does a good job of creating an exciting cinematic experience. Ask a home theater professional what they recommend for your home and budget.
What are the advantages of a home theater system?
Home theaters are leagues beyond television sets in terms of the experience they provide while watching movies. The seating is optimal, as you won’t have to choose back-row or side seats. You can bring whatever food you like, from dinner to dessert and beyond. The sound is optimized, and you have control over the volume. And video gamers will have a far more intense experience with better visuals and more realistic sound.
What are some different types of home theater systems?
In terms of video, home theater systems can be divided into categories of TVs and projectors. Choosing a projector over a TV creates more of an authentic theater experience and allows for a much larger screen. You can also choose between stereo and surround sound systems. Stereo is the left and right that we’re all accustomed to from headphones and car speakers — surround sound also includes front and back elements to further immerse the audience member.
What components do you need for a home theater system?
It takes more than a big TV to recreate the experience of a movie theater. You will need to start with the TV or video projector and screen, of course, but you’ll likely need other items, such as:
- A home theater receiver to process the surround sound system
- Cable or satellite box if you want connection to networks
- Video source (4K media players, Blu-ray player, Apple TV, Roku, etc.)
- Subwoofer, soundbars and speakers positioned strategically around the room
- Comfortable seating and lighting
Contact home theater installation professionals who can help you decide which equipment you should buy and set up in your home theater.