"I am a performing arts performer and an educator. I teach piano, flute, music theory, and aural skills*.
* (aural skill include ear training and music theory. In this lesson, you will learn to listen to music more acutely, and play/sing back what you hear. It is VERY useful to improve quickly in your music lesson no matter what instruments you learn. )
My teaching style is goal-oriented. Usually I will set a goal with my students to achieve in a certain amount of time. The reason is, I do expect my students to practice and refine their skills in between classes, and I will provide as many useful techniques and fun as possible. I hope my students can improve because if they improve, it is more likely they will stay motivated in the long run.
I am new to Thumbtack (a couple of months!) but I have taught piano and flute for a long time, most of them are age 4- 48. I have taught in different countries and cities, including Taipei(Taiwan), Madison (WI),NYC and Queens(NY), Jersey City (NJ). I can speak fluently Mandarin Chinese and English.
My music style is mainly classical. Sometimes will do some jazz, blue, folk and broadway. I am a classical trained musician.
My piano and aural skill teaching and performance experiences:
- Preparation for ABRSM Grade 4 and up.
(One of my student participated in grade 1 got a 125 score, and the aural skill got 28 out of 30. )
- preparation for New York State School Music Association exam.
(One of my students got full score in grade 3 this year)
- Agape music & arts center instructor
- church pianist/organist (2004-2015).
My flute experiences
- I also play and teach baroque flute and piccolo
- prepare students for performances, college and competition auditions, and exams (ABRSM). One of my students now is in Louisiana state University
- played with numerous ensembles: Sheboygan symphony, orchestra Amadeus, Juilliard 415"