Aside from doing individual Google research on professional moving companies, I utilized a service called "Thumbtack" which sent out an estimate request to various movers who would then respond within 24 hours. On Point Moving was one of the 3 companies who responded, and incidentally they were the Goldilocks choice of the quotes. The reasons why I chose On Point Moving:
- Reasonable price in comparison to others
- Descriptive response indicating additional fees and the expected pay
- 3 hour minimum (others required more)
- They were insured movers
- Read some positive reviews
Chris and Ryan were the 2 movers who were employed to move my stuff. I had essentially 2 bedrooms to move: a real bedroom + living room furniture + kitchenware. I was expecting them at or around 2-3pm; however, Chris called me around 11am saying they were 20 minutes driving distance away and finished their first move early. I was pleasantly surprised by this. Chris and Ryan both seemed very amiable with bright personalities. They were very responsive, professional, and were respectful throughout the move. We agreed on the estimated pay, and I signed the contract. I walked them through the house pointing to everything to move, and then I simply watched them go. Three wardrobe boxes were supplied, which were returned promptly after the move. They moved all of my furniture into their truck and belongings in one hour! Chris was so kind as to give me a chilled bottle of water at one point.
Some things I appreciated:
- The little small talk in between, which showed they were still in a good mood while hauling my things
- I could tell them how exactly I wanted the furniture in my new place, and they were willing to re-arrange it if it didn't appear to fit in the initial spot
- They finished in 2.5 hours!
Some things I didn't appreciate:
- Sometimes I would notice they would accidentally bump furniture against stuff, though it was all inconsequential incidents such as hitting bushes or little corners (it's your responsibility to pack your belongings well, and there's a reason why they wrap furniture with blankets and tape)
- No change if you pay with cash
In the end, they had me sign a receipt and fill out a survey. They do not bring cash with them, so expect to pay the full amount without change. It was okay though. To me, the change I had was put towards their tips which was much deserved. I've heard shady stories of companies with terrible attitudes who damage or steal your belongings. Chris and Ryan were found to be very trustworthy and open. They worked well together, and brought so much positive energy to the move. :) I strongly recommend using On Point Moving for your next move-in!