How much does computer repair cost?
The cost to fix your computer or laptop will depend on the extent of the repair and the labor rates in your area. For example, a repair service may charge $100 to fix virus or malware issues or $320 to fix a cracked or damaged screen. On average, computer repair technicians charge $60/hour for their services. However, hourly rates can range from $45-$90
To find out exactly how much it will cost to fix your desktop, laptop, Apple or PC computer, request cost estimates from computer repair specialists near you.
How much does computer repair cost per hour?
Who can fix my computer?
If your computer needs repairs, hire a technician who has experience with your computer’s model and brand. Ideally, the pro you choose should have certifications, training and/or a degree in a related field.
Look for top-rated, qualified computer repair services in your area on Thumbtack.
Should I repair or replace my computer?
To determine if you should replace or repair your computer, consider the following:
- Has your warranty expired?
- Is your computer old and out of date?
- Is the cost to fix your computer 50% or more of the cost of replacing it?
- Before it broke, was your computer working slowly and inefficiently?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it’s probably time to replace your computer. When in doubt, consult a technician for their expert opinion.
Is it worth fixing a computer?
It depends. If the damage is severe, you might be better off buying a new computer than spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on repairs. Always get price quotes from a few computer repair services near you, and compare those estimates to desktop and laptop prices. If it's cheaper to fix your computer, consider doing so. But if it's cheaper to buy a new device, that's probably your best option.
Is it worth replacing the motherboard on a laptop?
If your laptop’s motherboard was damaged by physical impact, liquid, heat or electrical damage, you may need to replace it or buy a new computer. You should consult computer repair experts near you to determine if replacing your laptop’s motherboard is worth the cost. Compare the price quotes you receive with new laptop prices, and decide which option is the most cost-effective.
What should I do before sending a computer in for repairs?
Before you send your computer to a technician to fix it, take the following precautions:
- Make sure you hire a reputable, top-rated professional to handle the repairs. Look at past photos of work they’ve completed and read their customer reviews on Thumbtack.
- Back-up your data. To ensure you don’t lose the data on your computer, back-up your files to an external hard drive.
- Ensure you have access to important information. If you need to access certain files or information from your computer, make sure you can access that information through a cloud storage system or external drive.
- Erase sensitive information. If you have files (documents, photos, etc.) that contain sensitive information about your finances, accounts, passwords, etc., delete them before you bring your computer to a repair shop.
- Log out of your accounts. Make sure you’re logged out of your bank, social media and other accounts.
Is it cheaper to replace a hard drive or buy a new computer?
Buying a new hard drive is almost always cheaper than buying a new computer. If you suspect you need to upgrade or replace your hard drive, ask a computer technician to diagnose your device (and request a cost estimate if the culprit is indeed the hard drive).
How many years does a laptop last?
Depending on its quality, age, condition and maintenance, a laptop may last only a few years or up to seven years. Of course, your laptop may last longer or shorter depending on how well you take care of it. If you think your laptop needs repairs, don’t procrastinate — hire a technician to look at it before the damage becomes irreparable.