We are now in Minnetonka near Highway 7 and 101.
Music Moves for Piano is a new piano series that builds on Orff, Kodaly, Suzuki, and Dalcroze and applies Edwin E. Gordon's music learning theory into the teaching of piano.
"Music learning theory" is the same as Gordon's "theories of audiation" and is a sequential learning process that guides students how to hear music with understanding. The music learning process is similar to the language learning model of listen, speak/perform, think/improvise, read, and write.
The purpose is to help students learn how to audiate and how to play the piano. The method provides a solid foundation for developing music literacy.
Music Moves for Piano level 1 is for ages 6 and up. Each lesson is a unit which includes:
- Lesson time objectives. This overview of the lesson communicates to parents and students what was covered at the lesson and lists home practice and listening assignments.
- Song to sing. Class activities familiarize students with the 'songs to sing' through movement and singing, since they will be performance pieces later. Students learn that if they can sing it, they can play it.
- Improvisation projects. Many beginning unit pages include short improvisation or creative projects.
- Performance piece(s) and/or scales, cadences, and arpgeggios.
Keyboard Games are for ages 4-6. Keyboard games is great for transitioning children, kindergarten, and other beginners.
- The game-like pieces are short, in contrasting character, and in both duple and triple meters. Students become acquainted with the full range of the keyboard. Many pieces have duet parts.
- Students learn proper alignment of the playing mechanism. Students are encouraged to be aware of how they produce sound.
- Improvisation activities are an integral part of the book. Students learn to choose register, dynamics, and meter. They also write stories for which they create short, descriptive pieces.
All piano classes are group-based instruction. Research has proven that children, especially beginners, learn much from each other, and they have tons more fun as well!
Class sizes are from 2-5 children for "music moves and keyboard games."
"Music play early childhood music program" is for ages birth through 4 years old. The locations are in Chanhassen and Minnetonka.
Music development begins at birth, if not in utero. Young children learn music by listening to and playing with sounds and movements that are provided and encouraged by the adults in their lives.
The goal is to help children enhance their music aptitudes through listening, singing, chanting, and moving with others. "Music play" is a great preparation for later instrumental or vocal instruction.
The curriculum is based on the research of renowned music educator Dr. Edwin E. Gordon. His music learning theory (see the GIML website) explains how we learn to understand and think in music through audiation, like thinking in language.
For homeschool groups:
As a licensed music educator, I can tailor a music education program for any age group, which includes children or youth choir, beginning band and instrumental instruction, and general music. The curriculum is developmentally appropriate and sequentially based on "Gordon's music learning theory."
Please do not call if you are looking for a director for a children's musical.