On average, airbrushing and custom paint jobs cost $150-$263. Airbrush pricing varies greatly. Some customers may pay as little as $40-$60, depending on their project. But on the high end, you can expect to pay $800-$1,370.
How much does a custom paint job cost?
|National average cost||$200|
|Average cost range||$150-$263|
|Low-end cost range||$40-$60|
|High-end cost range||$800-$1,370|
The cost of custom paint and airbrush work will vary based on the artist, their experience, training and background, and where they live in the country, among other factors. Artists who live in areas with a higher cost of living — such as New York or Los Angeles — often will have higher rates. For murals and custom airbrushing on walls and other surfaces, artists may include the cost of inspiration and design in their rates; other artists may reproduce a design for you, or charge a separate fee for creating a custom design in addition to the actual work of painting.
Bring new life to your party, event, workspace or home with the help of a custom paint or airbrush artist. Airbrush or paint a mural onto your walls, have an artist offer airbrush tattoos to your party guests (young or old!), host interactive art parties, or create custom clothing or the perfect gift with airbrush painting. Keep reading to learn about the various factors that will affect the cost of custom painting or airbrushing.
Airbrush and mural pricing.
For murals, airbrush art and other installations, artists typically provide a quote based on the service they are providing. Quotes often include the cost of labor, travel, paint and other material costs; always confirm exactly what is included in the quote before agreeing to a price. Here is one example of the price range of a custom paint job:
- Custom paint jobs average $75-$1,000 and more from Cori Alsbrooks of Cori Alsbrooks Murals & Graphics in Van Nuys, California. Factors that determine the cost include:
- Approximate size of the area to be painted.
- Surface type of the wall (more porous surfaces will need additional product and paint, which in turn will increase the project cost).
- Prep work required for the project site. For example, murals may need a base color or primer before the work begins. The artist may charge an additional fee to do the prep work.
- Accessibility of the project site. Location can impact cost if high ladders are required or unstable conditions exist.
- Creation of concept designs to be provided before the mural or installation is painted.
Airbrush tattoos are a fun, interactive party favor for your guests. Kids and adults love the look, the paint is safe for all ages, and the good times are appropriate for everything from birthdays and bat mitzvahs to weddings and corporate events. Instead of using a tattoo gun or hand painting, artists use an airbrush tool to apply the paint freehand or with stencils. Pricing is often by the hour, with rates depending on the artist, their business model, and their location in the country. Here are some examples of airbrush tattoo costs:
- Hourly rate: $75 per hour from Justine Jones of Willing Hands Designs in New Palestine, Indiana. One hour can accommodate airbrush tattoos for up to 15 guests.
- 1.5 hours can accommodate up to 24 guests.
- 2 hours can accommodate 25 and more guests (with the possibility for discounts for longer events).
- Package rates: $85-$90 per hour for airbrush tattoos plus one additional service (such as face painting or balloon twisting) from Willing Hands Designs.
- One hour at the 2-service package rate: $90. Accommodates 5-9 guests.
- 1.5 hours at the 2-service package rate: $90. Accommodates up to 15 guests.
- 2 hours at the 2-service package rate: $85. Accommodates 15 or more guests.
Many custom paint and airbrush artists require a deposit as a retainer for their services. The deposit reserves the artist’s availability for the event or dates you agree on, and provides funds for paint and other materials for your event or project. Don’t assume the artist is reserved for your event or date until the deposit has been paid and the contract has been signed. Here is one example of deposit costs:
- 50 percent of total project cost from Cori Alsbrooks Murals & Graphics.
- Remaining costs are due upon completion of work.