The national average cost to fix a garage door is $154. However, garage door repair prices typically range from $125-$200. Most garage door companies will charge by the hour, with labor costs ranging from $40-$149 per hour.
Garage door repair cost:
|National average cost
|Average cost range
As a homeowner, a broken garage door can be more than just an annoyance. From faulty openers to off-track doors, some garage problems can be a safety or security hazard as well. Fortunately, professional garage door repair technicians can test or repair a garage door system and fix cosmetic blemishes on garage doors. Common problems include jammed doors, slow or erratic doors, unusual sounds, or dents or scrapes on the door.
If you've noticed a problem with your door or opener last time you went into your garage, it might be time to call a professional to help. Before you hire a contractor, use this guide to get garage door repair cost estimates.
What's included in this cost guide?
The cost of a garage door repair will depend on the age of the door, the nature of the problem (broken spring, malfunctioning opener, or a garage door that's off the track), and what contractors in your zip code typically charge for repairs. Additional materials, such as a replacement door, can also raise your costs.
Garage repair companies often charge a set rate for a routine service call or common garage door problems. These service calls cover general testing, routine maintenance, garage door opener troubleshooting, and other minor issues—like fixing a garage door spring.
For example, a Thumbtack pro with experience with garage door repairs in Anna, Texas, charges $80 for a service call to assess issues. This includes the first hour of labor and service as well as testing and inspecting the garage door and opener.
The national average cost for a garage door spring repair depends on the type of springs (most doors have an extension or torsion spring), the size and weight of the garage door.
Spring repair prices can vary between garage door repair companies. Below are two example prices for a torsion spring or extension spring repair from two different companies:
- A Thumbtack pro in Plano, Texas: $99
- A Thumbtack pro in Kaufman, Texas: $185 ($40 for transportation, $65 for parts, and $80 for labor)
If your garage door has come off its track but is not broken and has no parts or hardware damaged, it's a pretty simple and inexpensive repair. For example, a Thumbtack pro in Kaufman, Texas charges $130 to reset an off-track garage door.
To reset a door on its track, professionals need to take the door down, check whether its cables or rollers are off, and reset the rollers, cables and drums. After confirming that the door track is not damaged, they unwind and rewind springs as necessary.
The average cost for repairing a damaged garage door depends on a variety of factors, like the door's size and material, the type of damage (dent, crack, etc.) and whether the garage door needs to be repaired or replaced.
The cost to replace your garage door can range from several hundred to several thousand dollars. Garage door prices depend on the size, style, and materials. For example, a 16x7 solid wood garage door could run you as much as $5,000 while an aluminum door could be as cheap as $200. Your replacement costs may also include hauling away and disposing of your old door.
One silver lining: If your garage door is more than 10 years old, a new door will be quieter and more energy-efficient and can improve your home's curb appeal.
You may also have a problem with your garage door opener, or the tracks the door moves along — not necessarily the remote or button you press to open and close the door. The cost to repair it will vary depending on the brand, size, horsepower, and model. Some openers have warranties, so check to see if you have one and it's still valid before hiring someone to repair it.
If this repair is not covered by a warranty, a professional will estimate the cost by testing the system and inspecting for damage, worn parts, and electrical problems. This may be a part of a service call. It's typical for a contractor to charge for this service call, but they will often include repair work during this time. When repairing a garage door opener, providers should check the gear and sprocket, motherboards, sensors, chains, belts, screw drive, trolley, J-arm, wall mounts and brackets.
If your opener is damaged beyond repair and you need to replace it, expect to pay around $390 and $650 for a new opener and installation. The cost for the opener purchased alone is, on average, around $150-$300.
If you need to hire a garage door specialist to help with repairs, consider the following tips before you commit:
- Check the company's license and reviews. Make sure you get excellent service by hiring a licensed garage door repair company who uses good quality materials.
- Check your door and opener warranties. Some companies may offer a five-year warranty but still charge for replacement parts. Other companies have warranties that cover replacement parts with no additional cost beyond an $80 service fee to cover the labor of the employee and service on the door. Check to see what your current warranty covers and, if you need to buy a replacement door or opener, check what the new warranty will cover as well.
- Send photos of the problem when requesting a free quote. To get the most accurate quote, always send photos with your request for an estimate. Just saying that your garage door is inoperable, slow, or erratic may not give the technician a clear idea of the problem. Also note that the free quote might just be based on your initial phone or email conversation—it's not uncommon for a specialist to charge a service fee to come inspect your garage door in person.