The national average cost of a new garage door and installation ranges from $370-$600. Whether your current door has given out, or you're simply remodeling to upgrade the look and feel of your exterior, installing a new garage door can be a great, but hefty, home improvement project.
The cost to install a new door will depend mostly on the type, material and size of the door you choose to buy, since the price of a new door makes up the bulk of your total cost. To help you estimate how much you will spend on a new garage door and a contractor to install it, this guide will break down what to expect.
What's in this cost guide?
- Garage door installation time
- What's covered in an installation fee
- Price of a new garage door
- Garage door openers
- Benefits of hiring a professional
- Tips to save money
Installing a new garage door takes about two to three hours, according to Sean Rogers of Third Gen Garage Doors, based in Golden, Colorado.
When you hire a professional to install a new garage door on your home, you will either pay for the new door and labor costs, or just a fee to install it, if you have already have the door you want to use.
Typically, the fee you pay to install a new garage door will also cover the cost of hauling away the old door. For example, Third Gen Garage Door includes the cost to haul away your old garage door in their service fee.
If you've already purchased a garage door, his firm will charge just for the installation. They charge $350 - $500 to install a double car garage doors and $250 for single size door. Keep in mind these figures just cover the labor cost.
Specialists in the home improvement industry do garage door installation. Companies who work in this area can quickly and efficiently remove an old or nonoperational garage door, replace or upgrade an existing door, or install a new one during new home construction. They can also put in garage door openers.
Door prices will depend on the size, material and style you choose, as well as if you decide to get a custom door (which will cost more) or a stock model.
Garage door prices for a single size door with no installation start at around $200, and increase in cost depending on size and material. The two most common garage door sizes are, 8 x 7 which fits a single car garage, and 16 x 7, which fits a double-car garage. A high-end, custom door can easily run up to several thousand dollars.
There are several common garage door styles. The most common style of garage doors are one-piece tilt-ups and sectional rollups, sometimes called overhead since they roll or tilt, well, over your head. Sectional rollup doors are a good option if you have limited ceiling space, but are most often used in commercial or apartment garages.
Garage doors can also be swing outs, or slide out styles. Slide out style garage doors are less commonly used on homes.
Doors can be made from a variety of materials including aluminum, steel, vinyl, fiberglass, wood or a combination of several materials. Some garage doors have glass or plastic windows built-in, which will also affect the price. The material that's best for your garage door will depend on your location, climate and personal needs. Below is a breakdown of the pros and cons of common door materials:
- Aluminum. Aluminum garage doors are lightweight, low maintenance and usually the least expensive option. They are especially good for homeowners in areas with severe winters, since they don't warp or expand and contract like wood doors. However, if you want the look and feel of a wood door without the hassle, you can buy an aluminum door that mimics painted wood.
- Fiberglass. Fiberglass garage doors, which usually come attached to a steel frame, are also lightweight. Because of this, they are an ultra-quiet option. However, they can get brittle when exposed to cold temperatures and are a better option for homeowners in milder climates.
- Steel. Steel garage doors are durable, resist cold weather and low-maintenance. Like aluminum, you can get one that mimics the look of wood, but without the problem of it. Unlike wood, they don't need to be refinished or painted, and are less expensive. Most steel doors are insulated, making them an energy efficient option as well.
- Vinyl. Vinyl garage doors, like steel and aluminum, are lightweight and damage resistant. You do not need to paint these doors. However, vinyl doors are often not insulated.
- Wood composite. Made from recycled materials, wood composite doors are a good option if you want a door you can paint to match your house, but at a lower cost than a wood garage door. While not as sturdy as steel, they are still fairly energy efficient, thanks to a polystyrene insulation which prevents hot or cold air from escaping.
- Solid Wood. Solid wood garage doors look beautiful and can be customized to match your house style and trim. However, wood doors are more expensive and not a good option if you live in a climate with lots of snow and rain, since moisture can warp and damage your door. They're fairly high-maintenance, sine you will have to paint or finish the door every several years. They also need repairs more frequently.
To give you a sense of how much a new garage door costs, below is a breakdown of several popular door styles, configurations and prices from Third Gen Garage Doors:
|Garage door type||Size||Single or double car||Price|
|Raised-panel, insulated||8 x 7||single car||$700 ($500 without insulation)|
|Raised-panel, insulated||16 x 7||double car||$1,100 ($900 without insulation)|
|Carriage-house, with stamped-steel design||8 x 7||single car||$1,000|
|Carriage-house, with steel and faux-wood overlay||8 x 7||single car||$2,000–$2,200|
|Carriage-house with stamped-steel design||16 x 7||double car||$1,500|
|Carriage-house, with steel and faux-wood overlay||16 x 7||double car||$3,500|
|Solid-wood cedar or mahogany, with window in top panels||8 x 7||single car||$5,000|
|Solid-wood cedar or mahogany, with window in top panels||16 x 7||double car||$3,500|
Garage doors are available as stock models, which tend to be less expensive than semi-custom or a fully custom door design. Styles run from traditional to contemporary and can be matched to the house.
Another characteristic to look for is whether or not your door is insulated, and how much. Especially if you're concerned with making your home more energy efficient, and your garage is attached to the house, an insulated door can make a big difference in heating and cooling costs over time.
Insulated doors will have a R-value attached to them for comparison. The higher the R-value, the greater the door's insulation. Better-insulated doors tend to be more expensive.
Garage door opener cost
The price of an opener starts around $150. According to Third Gen Garage Doors the price of installing a garage door opener ranges from $300-$475. For some garage door replacements, you may not need a new garage door opener (the mechanism, or track, your garage door follows to open and shut), but for most new doors and replacements, you will. An opener relies on a electric motor that will open and close the door by pushing a button. Some door opener models include a keypad or smart phone interface.
If you need a new garage door opener, there are three different types of drive openers you can choose from for your home:
- Chain drive: These tend to be the noisiest garage door openers, but they are affordable and very common.
- Belt drive: These are more more expensive than a chain drive, but quieter than chain and screw drive openers. They are a good option for attached garages.
- Screw drive: While screw drives are still a noisy option, they have less parts than a chain drive and therefore require less maintenance over time.
You may be able to save money by installing your garage door yourself. However, there are several benefits of hiring a professional to help:
- Professionals can help you dispose of your old garage door. After all, how many of us have a car large enough to haul away an old garage door, or even know where to dump it?
- Professionals are specialized in electric work. Installing a garage door opener may require electric work as part of your installation. Electric work is not something you want to mess with on your own.
- Garage doors are large. They can be cumbersome to install and lift. Fortunately, a professional will have help.
- Garage doors are complex. Getting a modern garage door to open and close requires a system of pulleys tracks, cables, brackets and springs which may need to be adjusted during installation.
To save money in the long term, make sure you have a warranty on both your new door and the labor.
A garage door company will typically warranty their labor while the manufacturer of the door will guarantee the quality of the actual door. The garage door company should also be able to handle and emergency repair jobs as needed. Third Gen Garage Doors charges a standard $150 rate, plus parts/hardware for service calls after installation, which is a good deal for a garage door repair.