How do I hire a contractor to finish or remodel my basement?
To hire the best contractor, you need to spend some time comparing pros in your area. Search online for top-rated basement refinishers and remodelers, and check out the customer reviews and photos on their profiles. Here are some questions to ask yourself as you’re browsing their profiles:
- How responsive and communicative are they?
- Did they finish preview basement remodeling projects by the deadline?
- Do they have enough experience finishing basements?
- Do the contractors offer fair pricing?
- How is their craftsmanship?
License requirements for contractors vary by state, so check to see if your contractor needs to be licensed before you hire. You should always hire a contractor who has the proper credentials.
Before you hire a contractor, however, get written estimates. Contact at least three to five basement refinishers to receive price quotes and ask questions. Hire the contractor you feel has the most experience, great craftsmanship and fair pricing.