How much does it cost to install a new garage door opener?
Your new garage door opener cost will vary based on the model you purchase and how long installation takes. Typically, installation pros charge by the hour, although if the pro is also selling the garage door opener they may have a flat fee for the product with installation. The national average for new garage door opener costs (with installation) is between $390 and $650, although the national average cost for the opener purchased alone may be in the $150-$300 range. The three most common types of openers are chain-drive, screw-drive and belt-drive. The chain-drive costs the least but makes the most noise. The belt-drive is typically the quietest and the most expensive. You can expect to pay about the same amount for installation for any of the three styles. The lifespan of a garage door opener is approximately 10 years, depending on quality. A pro may provide opener repairs for the cost of their service call fee or they may charge a flat fee, such as $100 for opener repair. Here are some examples of new garage door opener average costs, including installation:
- Contractor-grade garage door opener with installation: $300.
- Chain-drive opener with installation and one remote: $350.
- Belt-drive opener with installation and two remotes: $400
- Top-of-the-line opener with ¾-horsepower battery backup, belt drive and nearly soundless operation: $475
- The majority of higher-end garage door openers are “smart” products and will connect via app to your smartphone for remote access.