Who remodels bathrooms?
The professional best equipped to handle bathroom remodeling is a general contractor. A general contractor is typically licensed by the state or region in which they work to carry out home remodeling projects. To receive licensing, they must generally demonstrate their knowledge of construction and building and safety codes. General contractors act as the organizer for the entire bathroom remodeling project, ensuring that each element (new tile, shower pan replacement, lighting installation, etc.) is completed at the appropriate time by the proper contractor. Before hiring a general contractor, it’s wise to do your research. In addition to getting several competitive bids, here are questions to ask:
- May I see before-and-after photos of some of your recent bathroom remodels?
- Will I need permits for this project? Do you apply for those?
- May I see proof of insurance and licenses?
- Can we have a written contract outlining scope of work, budget and timeline?
- Will you be here each day overseeing the work?
For more on who remodels bathrooms and how long it takes check out The Complete Thumbtack Bathroom Remodel Guide.