How much does carpet cleaning cost per square foot?
In some cases, a quote from a carpet cleaning company will depend on the square footage of the room. The lower end of these prices will be between $0.15 and $0.20 per square foot, and they may rise as high as $0.40-$0.50 per square foot. Factors raising the price include the carpet’s condition (are there stains?) and whether they have to clean carpeted stairs, which take longer.
To find out how much it will cost clean your carpets, request cost estimates from pros near you.
Who cleans area rugs?
Like your carpets, area rugs should ideally be cleaned at least once a year to remove dust and dirt and help them last longer. In general, carpet cleaning professionals also clean area rugs. Some rug cleaners bring their cleaning equipment to your home, while others remove your area rugs and clean them at their facilities. Either way, the rug should be cleaned with the solution most appropriate to its specific fabric and construction. It should also be completely dry before you return it to the floor.
How much does it cost to get your carpet cleaned professionally?
The cost of carpet cleaning is generally determined by the type of carpets, stains, square footage and number of rooms that you need cleaned. On average, a professional will charge $94 to clean one room. Two rooms cost an average of $120, and three rooms cost approximately $146.
To find out how much it will cost to clean your carpets, contact the top-rated professional carpet cleaners near you and ask for free cost estimates.
Is it worth getting carpets professionally cleaned?
Purchasing a steam cleaner yourself may help to remove stubborn stains, but it simply won’t match the deep clean and efficiency that comes from hiring a professional carpet cleaner. Pros have powerful tools that can quickly remove even the most stubborn stains.
If you’re selling your home, clean carpets can make your home more appealing to prospective buyers. And the expense is offset when you consider that you only need to get your carpets cleaned about once a year. Plus, professional carpet cleaning can extend the life of your carpets, saving you money in the long run.
How do I find and hire a professional carpet cleaner?
First, take your search online to find the best carpet cleaners near you. Look at their ratings, photos of their past work and customer reviews. Having too many negative reviews can certainly be a bad sign, but you should also pay close attention to how they handle those reviews.
Before you make your final decision on who to hire, ask yourself these questions:
- What method of carpet cleaning do you prefer? Steam cleaning is an increasingly popular method because it’s thorough and safe, and dries quickly enough for you to return to your home the same day the carpets are cleaned.
- Are the pros reputable? It's always a good idea to check their reviews and references. Look for references from people in your neighborhood with homes similar to yours.
- What’s included in the base price? What other services does the carpet cleaning company offer? Some companies will move furniture for you, while others charge a fee for it. Some include stairs in the cost of the home’s cleaning, while others charge per step.
Ask a few carpet cleaners to provide you with an estimate for your home, and compare their quotes to decide on the best one for you. You should also check to make sure that the contractor holds the proper insurance and licenses.
How much does it cost to install carpet?
If you’re ready to bring new life into your house with a makeover from the ground up, you’re ready to learn more about carpet installation costs. Installation costs vary greatly, depending on a number of factors such as the type of carpet, the number of square yards, any necessary repair work, the number of stairs you have, and where you live. Due to these variables, the national average cost of carpet installation ranges between $200 and $4,500.
To start planning for your new carpet, measure roughly how many square yards of carpet you’ll need. Research the main carpet styles and materials you like to get a feel for what they cost. Nylon carpets are typically the least expensive, and wool is one of the higher-end carpets. Prices per square foot might range from under $2 to over $10, depending on materials. Count the number of stairs you want carpeted; each one might average between $3 and $10 (or more for box steps). Carpet removal can be an added cost as well, averaging $1-$4 per square yard, depending on the company and regional disposal costs.
How much is the cheapest carpet?
If you’re looking to reduce carpet installation costs, there are several ways to save. Start by considering your carpeting needs. Manufactured materials such as polyester and nylon will be cheaper than natural fibers such as wool. From big box retailers, starting prices for olefin-based carpet are approximately 50 cents per square foot — making the cost under $5 per square yard. Indoor carpets made with olefin fibers are typically the least expensive on the market. Keep in mind that olefin fibers are not as soft on bare feet as other fibers, so are often used in areas like basements, playrooms or indoor patios. Nylon and polyester are good options to reduce carpet installation costs while still creating a cozy feel. The face weight, fiber construction and density of a carpet all affect the cost per square foot. The cheapest nylon or polyester carpets can start at just under $2 per square foot, making them about $18 per square yard. Lower-cost carpet tends to wear out more quickly and show stains more easily, so avoid light colors and vacuum regularly to keep the fibers clear of dirt that might age it too quickly.
How long does carpet cleaning take?
Given the way it can transform the carpet, cleaning happens remarkably quickly. You can expect an average size room to require about 20 minutes to thoroughly clean.
The job could take longer for several reasons. If the stains are widespread or particularly deep, the professional cleaner might need to spend more time removing them. They may also need to take time to move furniture out of the way.
How much does it cost to install carpet on stairs?
The number of stairs you want carpeted in your home will directly affect your carpet installation cost. Putting carpet on stairs generally increases the labor time and requires a higher degree of detail than laying carpet flat. Where you live in the country also plays a role in your carpet installation cost. Carpet installation companies in smaller towns with a lower cost of living and a lower cost to do business (insurance, company vehicles, employee labor, etc.) can usually offer their customers lower rates than companies in large cities where the cost of living and the cost to do business are higher. Carpet pros will often quote you a flat rate per stair once they do a site visit to provide an estimate. They’ll take into account the size of each stair you want carpeted (including both the step and the riser), and what type of stair it is. For example, the cost might range between $3 and $10 per stair for labor only. On the higher end of the spectrum, box stairs or staircase stairs with spindles that must be worked around might cost between $15 and $25 per stair.
How much does it cost to carpet a bedroom?
If you’re building a new home, remodeling, or ready for new carpet in your bedroom, you’ll want to know carpet installation costs. Here are the factors that affect the cost of your new bedroom carpet:
- Installation cost per square yard: From under $2 to over $6. Carpet companies have a labor cost per square foot for installing your new carpet. Depending on where you live in the country, that rate can vary greatly. This rate does not include the cost of the carpet.
- Type of carpet: from $1 per square foot to $20 or more per square foot. The fibers that make up your carpet will have a direct effect on cost. As an example, specialty wool carpets may start at about $10 per square foot, while a manufactured fiber like nylon may be about $2 per square foot.
- Removal of old carpet: from $1 to $4 per square yard. Old carpet is labor-intensive to remove and also costs money to dispose of or recycle. The cost to remove carpet will depend on how much carpet you need removed and whether your installation pros offer a discounted rate for installing your new carpet at the same time.
- Subfloor repair: from $40 to $70 per hour (plus materials cost). If the flooring underneath your old carpet is damaged, it must be repaired before the new carpet is installed. Many carpet pros can offer this service, or you can hire a handyman to handle the job.
- Type of carpet pad: $1 per square yard and up, depending on the thickness. The cost to install carpet pad is typically included with the labor cost per yard of installing the carpet itself.