"I am a performing arts performer and an educator. I teach piano, flute, music theory, and aural skills*.
I live in Jersey city, but I have a studio near Penn station in Manhattan. I also go to students house and do online lessons. The fee listed is the fixed fee for the lessons at my studio in Manhattan, if you prefer home lessons, please send me a message first then I will give you a quote. I will go to students house for 45 or 60 minutes lessons, only if your son/daughter is younger than 10 years old, I will consider to do 30 minutes in home lesson.
My teaching style is goal-oriented. Usually I will set a goal with my students to achieve in a certain amount of time. The reason is, I do expect my students to practice and refine their skills in between classes, and I will provide as many useful techniques and fun as possible. I hope my students can improve because if they improve, it is more likely they will stay motivated in the long run.
I am new to Thumbtack (a couple of months!) but I have taught piano and flute for a long time, most of them are age 4- 48. I have taught in different countries and cities, including Taipei(Taiwan), Madison (WI),NYC and Queens(NY), Jersey City (NJ). I can speak fluently Mandarin Chinese and English.
My music style is mainly classical. Sometimes will do some jazz, blue, folk and broadway. I am a classical trained musician.
My piano and aural skill teaching and performance experiences:
- Preparation for ABRSM Grade 4 and up.
(One of my student participated in grade 1 got a 125 score, and the aural skill got 28 out of 30. )
- preparation for New York State School Music Association exam.
(One of my students got full score in grade 3 this year)
- Agape music & arts center instructor
- church pianist/organist (2004-2015).
* (aural skill include ear training and music theory. In this lesson, you will learn to listen to music more acutely, and play/sing back what you hear. It is VERY useful to improve quickly in your music lesson no matter what instruments you learn. )"